• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why is the Supporters Trust Silent?

ex_user1234

Resigned
Wow. There is a whole lot wrapped into that single post although, perhaps, no obvious intent. Having read the post three times, I still can’t work out what you want to say or, indeed, what you want to do. That is probably my fault. For context, I have read some (but not all) of your posts but I think your message may have become confused: it has certainly become disguised by too many tangential arguments around ideology!

Anyway, I am sure there are some issues. I have never come across a perfect business. It might be even harder to find volunteer organisations which work well when appetite rather than ability often gets you a seat at the table. That said, I am sure some issues are tolerable and go with the territory. Others might not be and might need some figuring out.

You claim skulduggery. Is that the consequence of a single club employee, a wider group at the club, the Trust board? Who? Who is misbehaving and is that misbehaviour clear or merely your opinion? You might find it very tricky if you are basing views on opinion but I have no idea what you think is wrong because you make clear you have revealed so little. About 5%, you write.

Also, is your frustration because the Trust can’t see it, won’t acknowledge it or won’t deal with it? Or, for that matter, are the issues more with the Trust than the club? I just don’t understand what you are trying to reveal!

Most people want most things to be as good as possible although few will do too much to changes things that don’t have an enormous impact on them. However, that inertia doesn’t give those wanting change ‘carte blanche’ to charge ahead. You still need to garner wider support, in this case amongst the Exeweb community, and that requires you, as a bare minimum, to articulate something significant which needs to be changed. In my view, jumping up and down because the Trust or the club or anybody else didn’t do something (eg. furloughing) in precisely the way you would have chosen is your opinion: it is not evidence of incompetence.

Believe me, I am sorry if this comes across as being a little critical but I am trying to help. Debate is good. And using debate to make things better is really good. But there has to be an identifiable issue and there has to be widespread acceptance that change is needed. In my view, deciding who delivers that change comes a little later in the process but you awarded yourself that role.

Forgive me, but right now your position appears to be this:

“Somebody must do something about something/someone because I say so”.

I think it needs to be stronger than that. Can you fill in the gaps?
Excellent post. Especially your point about volunteer organisations and their inherent limitations. You're also smart enough to understand that I am deeply frustrated with how City is run as a football club, both by the Trust and the Club, having got to witness it first-hand in pretty much all non-playing departments. It's the all-round amateurishness that I can't abide. And, again, as you astutely observed, a lot of my frustration stems from the people involved not being able to see how village fete everything is. I don't blame the people involved - nearly all of them haven't operated at a high enough level in business to know that anything is wrong. The reason I talk a lot about the ideology of the Trust is because it has a huge impact on everything at City. It's the single most important thing that needs to be changed if our club is ever to be really successful. You can't run a commercially savvy organisation if the culture is not aligned to tha goal. In terms of the Club, I think the main problem is that some of the current personnel simply aren't up to the job. It's all very provincial and parochial, which means there isn't the talent avialable to truly drive Exeter City forward. Half of the time I'm not sure the Club know what they're doing - the furloughing being a good example. All in all, there needs to be a root and branch transformation of the Club and Trust.

lamrobhero

In my (Marxist?) Utopia Club revenue is pooled centrally and then redistributed equally. A football world that is dominated by the question about how rich your oligarch is, feels to me pretty meaningless.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
In my (Marxist?) Utopia Club revenue is pooled centrally and then redistributed equally.
Interestingly until around 1981,Gate receipts were shared a bit more equally for FL games.67% home & 33% away minus game expenses.
The bigger clubs did not like the formula & had it changed to home clubs keep league game receipts.
The relatively small amount of TV money available(compared to today) was similarly shared equally until the mid 1980s.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interestingly until around 1981,Gate receipts were shared a bit more equally for FL games.67% home & 33% away minus game expenses.
The bigger clubs did not like the formula & had it changed to home clubs keep league game receipts.
The relatively small amount of TV money available(compared to today) was similarly shared equally until the mid 1980s.
And there you have it Olds, In no way as much as some people would like, Football will never go back to that sort of era, Now TV rules with vast amounts of money, Those that get the biggest piece of the pie wont let go of that.

budegrecian

Excellent post. Especially your point about volunteer organisations and their inherent limitations. You're also smart enough to understand that I am deeply frustrated with how City is run as a football club, both by the Trust and the Club, having got to witness it first-hand in pretty much all non-playing departments. It's the all-round amateurishness that I can't abide. And, again, as you astutely observed, a lot of my frustration stems from the people involved not being able to see how village fete everything is. I don't blame the people involved - nearly all of them haven't operated at a high enough level in business to know that anything is wrong. The reason I talk a lot about the ideology of the Trust is because it has a huge impact on everything at City. It's the single most important thing that needs to be changed if our club is ever to be really successful. You can't run a commercially savvy organisation if the culture is not aligned to tha goal. In terms of the Club, I think the main problem is that some of the current personnel simply aren't up to the job. It's all very provincial and parochial, which means there isn't the talent avialable to truly drive Exeter City forward. Half of the time I'm not sure the Club know what they're doing - the furloughing being a good example. All in all, there needs to be a root and branch transformation of the Club and Trust.
Ed, you talk about the marxist ideology within the Trust & the village fete approach to matters (arguably two opposing positions) but haven't given any examples of the mistakes the Trust has made or identified failures to maximize opportunities, which would help convince posters of your beliefs.
I'll admit to being a big fan of the Trust but ultimately I want what is best for the Club so would love to hear specifics about what the Trust could & should be doing better to improve the business performance & increase revenue, rather than generalisations which are not supported with detail.

Juan Kerr

"I am deeply frustrated with how City is run as a football club, both by the Trust and the Club"

20200522_092120.jpg

Yep, so very bad that we won't be one of them. Terribly frustrating.

Legohead

Banned
Juan Kerr :LOL: Great name. Reminds me of one of the posters on the Derby County forum named Juan Kossoff. :LOL:

ex_user1234

Resigned
"I am deeply frustrated with how City is run as a football club, both by the Trust and the Club"

View attachment 2627

It's a pretty low bar that you think it's a cause for celebration that we won't be going bust in the next few weeks. Do you apply the same standards to your own life? Darling, I didn't lose my job this week - crack open the champagne. Honey, our kids didn't get expelled from school this week - high fives all round. No, I didn't think so.

Fareham Grecian

This is what you wrote: "On the politics, people who work for a wage may or not be capitalists. It’s purely a belief, that people like you use to justify exploitation."

Definition of what Marxists believe: "Marxism believes that capitalism can only thrive on the exploitation of the working class."

Notice any similarities?
No, not really tbh. I don’t believe that capitalism necessarily involves exploitation. What I said was that ‘people like you’ use it to justify exploitation. And having read all your posts I am pretty certain I am right.

You are very good at twisting other people’s words - see also your latest tantrum at Juan Kerr - and much less good at putting forward any positive ideas of your own. The mark of egotists and fantasists since time immemorial.

i8cornwall

View attachment 2627

the word COULD is the one to pay attention to in that headline.