• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why is the Supporters Trust Silent?

ex_user1234

Resigned
What has that got to do with the price of fish ? Trust Elections are for members. Any fan can become a member and vote if they want to, there is no barrier to membership.
I think you're missing my point. I am saying that the fanbase of Exeter City is probably around 15,000 people. Around 750 people voted in the Trust elections. That means only 5% of the Exeter City fanbase elected the Trust board.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Exactly. I can't often make home games these days but every time I do, if I wanted to talk to a member of the Trust, I could easily
They have a stall at Red Square. Nick is always wandering about, as is Richard Knight. Neil L-M is manning the FECRACE. Pete Martin is also always around and Mark Cordell. I daresay many of the others are, I just don't happen to see them.

If a fan doesn't know what he, or any of them look like, have a look at the Trust website where all their profile pictures and their responsibilities are set out. It isn't difficult.
I don’t think that’s enough though. They should each wear a T-shirt with their names in big capital letters, and have ‘Trustee’ tattooed on their foreheads. That’s the trouble with city, no ambition. I mean, no communication.

DB9

You do have a trust page in the programme which is often written by Nick.
Thanks for that, Been years since I bought a programme too like i8. Plus haven't been to SJP for ages due to distance and work, That's why I spend so much bloody time on here! 🤣🤣

ex_user1234

Resigned
I am not judging him on what he does ( which I don’t know ) but not many fans would know him if he walked by them at a match, He is the chairman of the Trust who supposedly own the club, Surely he should be out there at games communicating with fans.
I agree. Nick Hawker is the most powerful person at Exeter City by a country mile and his personal philosophy on how a football club should be run permeates everything at City these days, yet many fans do not know who he is. It's an odd situation.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I think you're missing my point. I am saying that the fanbase of Exeter City is probably around 15,000 people. Around 750 people voted in the Trust elections. That means only 5% of the Exeter City fanbase elected the Trust board.
Can I just ask where you get this figure of 15k from ? If you take into account say 4k for a home game and maybe an extra 100 or so that go to an away game who don't attend SJP it would be nowhere near 15k fans unless of course you're taking into account the 20k that turn up at Wembley as and when.

fred binneys head

I agree. Nick Hawker is the most powerful person at Exeter City by a country mile and his personal philosophy on how a football club should be run permeates everything at City these days, yet many fans do not know who he is. It's an odd situation.
Not really. Maybe he thinks the organisation is more important than the individuals. He's always there if you want him, but doesn’t feel the need to always be in the spotlight. Good on him.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
He writes in the programme, communicates with Trust members each month via a Newsletter, does regular interviews for the Club Website and walks around fans areas on matchdays in a suit with a name badge on. What else would you like him to do?

If 11,500 City fans aren't Trust members (your figure of 15,000 - 3,500 Trust members) what makes you sure that they are that bothered who he is anyway?

I bet if you asked 15,000 fans who the most powerful person at the Club was, most would say Taggy or second, MT.

dontpassback

anyone who knows nick,(and I appreciate that not all supporters will know him by sight)will know that he is city through and through,and his efforts with The trust and club go way above what is required,he would be the first to admit that’s its not always easy,but rest assured his efforts on the trust and clubs behalf are 110%

Colesman Ballz

Your point is totally irrelevant. It is absolutely meaningless, the Trust is an organisation and therefore there are fans who choose not to be a member by their own volition. Those fans therefore have no vote, so what ?

ex_user1234

Resigned
Can I just ask where you get this figure of 15k from ? If you take into account say 4k for a home game and maybe an extra 100 or so that go to an away game who don't attend SJP it would be nowhere near 15k fans unless of course you're taking into account the 20k that turn up at Wembley as and when.
There are 23,000 people alone who subscribe to the Exeter City email newsletter. 15,000 is a conservative estimate. You don't have to attend every City match to be a fan.