• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Where else would Failure be tolerated?

We wouldn't be a big fish in the Conference anymore either.. have you seen the Ex league clubs down there it's League 3 in all but name. Over half the clubs down there have been in the football league proper in the last 10 years. Some have been down for 5+ years and are showing no signs of returning Grimsby for example to name but one and i'd even say we were only top third in the Conference in terms of size.

Mogga

He's taken us from 7th in the Conference to 21st in League Two.
And a dinner date with a nice lady starts with you ironing more creases into your shirt and ends the next morning with strong feelings of loneliness, shame and inadequacy when she leaves without a word. Lest we forget the undetected bullsh*tting you successfully produced the night before when feigning interest in her degree (Logan nodding in at the Don Valley), the moment she described your cooking as "genuinely edible" (Harley stroking it in against Huddersfield) or the near record-breaking 7 and a half minutes you lasted before letting everything out and shrieking in euphoria when Nardiello shimmied this way and that before poking past Romain Larrieu. It's hardly like we spent the night harpooning Rococo's divorcees in the Conference South or negotiating with toothless Bulgarian prostitutes in the Western League is it? We spent three years drinking cocktails with university graduates who were way out of our league and we would quite often stick it in the back of the net - who could forget the threesome at the Valley? Of course, our previous conquests wouldn't look twice at us now, as we draft a message to Tinder HQ questioning why our app isn't working. But football is unending and, while this phrase is one to be scoffed at in its usual context, is it not all about the journey? Is it that the events during Tisdale's tenure have no relevance once you've picked your arbitrary point in time and measured this against where he started? Life at ECFC is undeniably sh*t at this moment in time and much of the criticism levelled at the club has merit and plausibility. Despite this I find your quoted sentence absolutely tragic as it undermines the enjoyment we fans get from watching lower league football. You may well believe it is all now coming to a grisly end but even if it is, anybody who doesn't appreciate the many incredible days Paul Tisdale has provided this club, and worse still didn't appreciate it at the time, has my pity. Otherwise, what's the point?

As for our first season down here - 10th was a disaster and it says a lot that you can't see it. He/We clearly gambled everything on getting straight back up and it failed. We used ALL of the Dunne/Troy money on the playing budget that year rather than holding it back. We had a squad that included Krysiak, Tully, Amankwaah, Baldwin, Coles, Woodman, Bennett, Sercombe, Gow, Cureton, O'Flynn, Bauza Oakley, Davies, Doherty, Moseley. If we hadn't gambled that money and opted for stability instead then I would happily have taken 10th but it's pretty obvious to anybody but the seriously dim that we gambled on going straight back up and failed. That squad should have been good enough to go back up and it won't have been assembled cheaply.
To describe a season where we finished 10th and broke our all-time away record as a 'disaster' is absolutely ridiculous. Half of the players you have listed were under contract anyway, and many of those we signed were in the football wilderness. How can you genuinely pick Doherty as an example of gambling money? He couldn't get into Bath City's Conference side and had kept himself about as fit as a pork scratching. That season was a success - we steadied the ship and did well to make that squad one challenging for promotion. Take a look at the squads of the four clubs that got promoted that season and compare them to ours. If you think that ours was put together on a similar budget then I am afraid it is in fact you who is the 'seriously dim' one.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mogga

Having done my best to read through your intricate screed above, and given myself a migraine in the process, you'll forgive me if I totally disagree. Bitt's shorter explanation which you include is far closer to what really happened than your well thought out journal with the subtle attempts of humor mixed with ridicule towards him.

I take it you're not ready to knock up a Tisdale Out banner anytime soon!?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mogga

Having done my best to read through your intricate screed above, and given myself a migraine in the process, you'll forgive me if I totally disagree. Bitt's shorter explanation which you include is far closer to what really happened than your well thought out journal with the subtle attempts of humor mixed with ridicule towards him.

I take it you're not ready to knock up a Tisdale Out banner anytime soon!?
Just FYI, Pete, I think Mogga is endulging in a little bit of literary bull****.. I can't for the life of me imagine why he would spend so much time spewing up such cr*p.

Bittners a Legend

Mogga - I've never denied Tisdale's achievements and have made reference to them many times. There is no question we've had some great days under him - even if they were all years ago - but that doesn't change the point that I was making that years of decline mean that despite the stability and freedom granted to him like it has been to almost no other football league manager he has been completely unable to stop a decline which has left us nearly at the point where we started 8 years ago. The only difference is that we are in a much more unstable financial position. If you are suggestion that what Tisdale did 5 years ago is a reason to keep him in a job now then fine, that's your opinion, but otherwise what you've posted is an utter irrelevance. Obviously I enjoyed the good times and obviously I acknowledge them but it doesn't change the position we find ourselves in after 3 very poor seasons.

As for your second paragraph - you are either being stupid or deliberately missing the point. The "disaster" was not the finish of 10th in itself but the manner of the finish. We gambled all the Dunne and Troy money and played terrible football at home driving down attendances. The consequences of the latter added with the failure to get up (or at least reach the play offs) was that the playing budget decreased significantly and set us on course for where we find ourselves now. Despite the utter waste of money off-field this is clearly an important moment. That you refuse to see it, or understand the point, merely demonstrates your highly questionable analytical skills. As for my reference to Doherty - it wasn't to suggest he was on huge money but rather than he was part of a notable squad of players that, combined, was a strong squad that should have done better. If I wanted to make a point purely on the wages then I would have focused on the likes of Bauza, Gow, Coles etc.