• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I quickly moved over to the Cowshed and remembered the old boy in the trenchcoat and porkpie hat who would call out scores from his transistor radio and occasionally bellow 'SHOOOT'. This was the legendary Gilbert and hence my pen name.
I always thought he was shouting "Hoooooo!", which I used to find puzzling.

A Slacker

January 1975
Exeter City 1 Hartlepool 0. John Templeman scored.

First hero was probably Peter Hatch. Silky player with amazing long throws. His goal straight from a corner in the 4 - 0 demolition of Newcastle in the cup (18,000+ at the park?) is one of my favourites.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Chester City 1973 ish.

Tony Kellow (hello!)

Red red

I can’t remember remember my first game but I do remember not being happy because mother stopped me going one particular Saturday and we beat Barrow 7-1. That was 1972 and I had been going regularly before that. I was 9 at that time. First favourite player Campbell Crawford and Bob Wilson. Later played in the same Vailant Soldier Sunday team with him 😀

gilbertshoot

I always thought he was shouting "Hoooooo!", which I used to find puzzling.
I swear he once shouted it at our keeper, Len Bond as he took a goal kick.

Pete Martin (CTID)

August 24th 1966 v Torquay in the League Cup

Always loved Fred Binney.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I think Pierce Sweeney might be getting to legend status. I haven't known any other player play as long with us than him.
You may not have, but Keith Harvey played his entire career with us after joining us from Crediton.

grecIAN Harris

You may not have, but Keith Harvey played his entire career with us after joining us from Crediton.
I don't even think you need to go that far back.......... Steve Harrower possibly? Certainly with us for a fair old while.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
!979, 2-2 draw at home with Sheffield Wednesday, at 4 years old.

Bit young to have a favourite at that stage, but a little later it was Mark Robson.

JW57++

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering when this was for you all.

I'm sure there is a great cross section of ages on here.

I thought my first game was 50 years ago, but having looked back, it must have been in the 70/71 season, as I well remember Joe Gadston being my first club idol, so for me it was about 53 years ago!!
Great thread choice Larry. 😀