• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Was Your First City Match and Who was Your First Idol?

Martin Weiler

My first City match was 11 April 1967 but does it count? It was the first time I had seen the Grecians but they were the visitors at Brentford, my then local team. The Bees won 3-1 but oddly the only goal I have any recall of was City’s - a long range dipping shot by George Ley.

Fast forward to 1973 and I successfully apply to the University of Exeter. The criteria for my applications were that the University had to have a local Football League club.

It took me a bit of time but I finally shrugged off the diversions of student life and headed to SJP on 27 March 1974. A little late (no big floodlight pylons to guide me) I ventured onto the Big Bank and seconds later Fred Binney bore down on goal and scored. I was hooked as City beat Stockport 2-1 (att: 3337).

Binney and Lammie Robertson were my early heroes.

So in a way, I saw my first City match twice!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
My first City match was 11 April 1967 but does it count? It was the first time I had seen the Grecians but they were the visitors at Brentford, my then local team. The Bees won 3-1 but oddly the only goal I have any recall of was City’s - a long range dipping shot by George Ley.

Fast forward to 1973 and I successfully apply to the University of Exeter. The criteria for my applications were that the University had to have a local Football League club.

It took me a bit of time but I finally shrugged off the diversions of student life and headed to SJP on 27 March 1974. A little late (no big floodlight pylons to guide me) I ventured onto the Big Bank and seconds later Fred Binney bore down on goal and scored. I was hooked as City beat Stockport 2-1 (att: 3337).

Binney and Lammie Robertson were my early heroes.

So in a way, I saw my first City match twice!
Show off.....

ECFC-GC

Show off.....
I can go back further than that when Dale and Stiffle were the ones to watch in the 1950's!

STURTZ

This thread actually makes me feel quite young!😄

iscalad

I can go back further than that when Dale and Stiffle were the ones to watch in the 1950's!
I was referring to see his first match twice...

Stelios

This one?

Steve(?) Butler scored all five. Dion Dublin had moved on by then.
Can’t remember tbh. Definitely saw Dion Dublin score (or play well) against us. And definitely saw us tonked by Cambridge but may not have been the same game(!)

grecIAN Harris

Can’t remember tbh. Definitely saw Dion Dublin score (or play well) against us. And definitely saw us tonked by Cambridge but may not have been the same game(!)
Dublin scored against us we beat Cambridge 3-2 during The Championship season.

STURTZ

October 7th 1979 vs Blackpool with some bloke called Kellow playing for them. I was 12 and sat in the OG with one of my dad's mates from work. Peter Hatch scored the winner. Kells soon came home and was my all time City hero. I quickly moved over to the Cowshed and remembered the old boy in the trenchcoat and porkpie hat who would call out scores from his transistor radio and occasionally bellow 'SHOOOT'. This was the legendary Gilbert and hence my pen name.
Can actually remember Gilbert shouting "Red Rum won the national, Arsenal's winning at Derby!"

Hoot!

grecianred

I dont really post on EW and havent for years. That said thread sparked me to life...

I dont know if it was my first game but first memory is the Norwich FA Cup game in 8990. I remember it being rammed. I was so excited when Dazza scored but then of course that was very shortlived.

Predictably Darren Rowbotham was my first and still all time fave City player in 35 years nearly of supporting.

Stelios

I dont really post on EW and havent for years. That said thread sparked me to life...

I dont know if it was my first game but first memory is the Norwich FA Cup game in 8990. I remember it being rammed. I was so excited when Dazza scored but then of course that was very shortlived.

Predictably Darren Rowbotham was my first and still all time fave City player in 35 years nearly of supporting.
Featured on Match of the Day with Tony Gubba commentating