• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What On Earth Has Happened to Torquay as a Town?

bflockha

Popped down there last Sunday and the place is looking a litttle tired; are they paying the penalty for the out of town shopping so indictive of todays life? Shame really; place to go in my youth.

Utter Terry

To be fair to TQ when the sun is out the harbour still does look the business, however walk from Castle Circus down Union St to the harbour and you experience the obesity epidemic imported from the West Midlands ..... And that's just the women !

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was in Paignton yesterday evening and, for this time of year, it was dead.

I was in Paignton yesterday evening and, for this time of year, it was dead.
But that isn't Torquay. Sort of like comparing Exeter to Crediton...oh, hang on...

IBA

But that isn't Torquay. Sort of like comparing Exeter to Crediton...oh, hang on...
Not really the same Torquay and Paignton are effectively joined at the hip,too much development means its now difficult to spot where one ends and the other one starts, Both are part of the conurbation of Torbay.

grecIAN Harris

Not really the same Torquay and Paignton are effectively joined at the hip,too much development means its now difficult to spot where one ends and the other one starts, Both are part of the conurbation of Torbay.
My sentiments exactly, just small towns by the seaside that run into each other rather than the Counties Capital and a small market town six miles away.

Whether Paignton and Torquay are 'joined' makes no difference to the fact that Torquay and Paignton are separate towns. The negatives of Paignton have no beating on Torquay. In fact the likelihood is that the night life in Paignton is quiet because people go to the next town of Torquay.

grecIAN Harris

Just for you then Granny, Torquay didn't seem any better when I drove through on the way home.

Redvee

Babbacombe, St Marychurch, etc is still nice, people still tend to be more of the local variety rather than the town side where you have every Scouser, Jock and Brummie on the run.
Always have a day on the beer in TQ when visiting relatives in Devon.

fred binneys head

I had my stag do in Torquay, it was great. The town was full of Northampton and Shrewsbury boys and it got a bit lively - we were playing the Shrews and Torquay were playing Northampton.