• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Kevin McDonald (and Cheerio)

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have to say I'm a bit surprised to read that its only a playing role being offered. Given that he's stated that he would like to get into coaching, I would have thought that the potential for his stay at the club, we're he to become part of the coaching team, would mean some job security for the foreseeable, might give him the incentive to relocate to this part of the country more permanently and make him more inclined to sign a new contract in a player/coach role. Having said that though, I think we've learnt that GC likes to play his cards close to his chest a bit, so maybe the conversation has involved some discussion about the potential for his role with the club going forward?
I know you've slightly rowed back from this view, but I think there may be two very good reasons why the club has offered him a playing contract only and why that's best for him too. For the avoidance of doubt I a big KMcD fan and really want him to sign for next season.

First he'll want to play, play,play. He's missed so much time from playing due to the kidney transplant. He's only 34 and you're a long time retired from playing. I suspect he's looking at playing every game he can and doing that for at least two more seasons. ECFC is IMHO the best place for him to do so. Offering him a partly coaching contract sounds like a big hint saying 'actually we don't think you'll be playing enough to justify a full playing contract'

Secondly, money. I don't know this but my speculation is that coaches, being comparatively two a penny, are paid less than in demand competent League One (and above) players. So a contract for coaching would be on much less money than playing? Does anyone know how well paid at ECFC coaches are?

elginCity

…..in demand competent League One (and above) players.
KMcD believes he’s still capable of L1 (and above), it’s on the record.

Should there be a Championship or big L1 club offering a 1 year contract, with his bags not fully unpacked at City, he’d be a fool not to take it. All hinges on that, and his wife of course !

Boyo

KMcD believes he’s still capable of L1 (and above), it’s on the record.

Should there be a Championship or big L1 club offering a 1 year contract, with his bags not fully unpacked at City, he’d be a fool not to take it. All hinges on that, and his wife of course !
His family, including very young baby, are in Scotland, so Devon is far from ideal for him. Like you say if another team come in and offer him a deal, then it's clearly going to be difficult for us, which I'm guessing, is the reason we have made him an early offer.

budegrecian

His family, including very young baby, are in Scotland, so Devon is far from ideal for him. Like you say if another team come in and offer him a deal, then it's clearly going to be difficult for us, which I'm guessing, is the reason we have made him an early offer.
I thought he mentioned in an interview that they had now moved down.

Red Bill

I know you've slightly rowed back from this view, but I think there may be two very good reasons why the club has offered him a playing contract only and why that's best for him too. For the avoidance of doubt I a big KMcD fan and really want him to sign for next season.

First he'll want to play, play,play. He's missed so much time from playing due to the kidney transplant. He's only 34 and you're a long time retired from playing. I suspect he's looking at playing every game he can and doing that for at least two more seasons. ECFC is IMHO the best place for him to do so. Offering him a partly coaching contract sounds like a big hint saying 'actually we don't think you'll be playing enough to justify a full playing contract'

Secondly, money. I don't know this but my speculation is that coaches, being comparatively two a penny, are paid less than in demand competent League One (and above) players. So a contract for coaching would be on much less money than playing? Does anyone know how well paid at ECFC coaches are?
Not quite sure I agree with this, particularly withe message it sends. If it were a player coach role whilst still being very much a part of the first team squad with the promise that they'll be a permanent coaching role for him here when he hangs up his boots, says how much we value him IMO.
I thought I'd heard him say that his family had joined him down here now so a more permanent relocation maybe something that might be attractive to him and his wife. Hes certainly commented that its a lovely part of the world. Let's face it, although Devon may be missing some of the bright lights and excitement that young players might crave, it's a bleddy wonderful place to bring up a young family!
With regards to money, he has been playing at a decent level for some time and will have been on a very high wage compared to us normal folk for a long time, so he maybe fairly well set up by now anyway, I know I would be if I'd been earning footballers wages. So he may be at a stage of his life where he would value a bit of stability and the opportunity to settle down in a beautiful part of the world, above a couple more years of good money. From reading these pages for many years now, I know the suggestion that anyone would value anything more than money will blow some posters minds, but there are a few of us around!
As someone has already said though, it would all depend on whether there was actually space in the coaching team for him to become part of, no matter how gradually that transition might be. And maybe he is a disciple of the Great God money after all, and will be off like a shot the moment he gets a sniff of more wonga!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe McDonald isn't interested in a coaching role yet and just wants to concentrate on playing.

andrew p long

I'm pretty sure that's right. After one recent home match (Bolton?), I watched the post match interview of the opposing manager. Beyond him was KMcD with a young woman holding a tiny baby together with another little one (?). Looked dead ringers for his family and you could see him pointing out areas of the ground like the Big Bank.

Hope he gets signed soon. Otherwise it will be tempting after next Sunday for them all to go back to what was home, with no need to be in Exeter from 7 May until the end of June.

Bridgy 81

When I ‘interviewed’ 🙂 Kevin at the Senior Reds meeting recently, I said after we’d been talking for about an hour and an half that we’d better wind it up, but he said don’t worry, I’ve got two young children at home.
I didn’t ask him whether his family were down here on a visit or permanently.
That seemed to me at the time a bit too much, but perhaps if I had a second chance I might go for it.

sign of the chimes

When I ‘interviewed’ 🙂 Kevin at the Senior Reds meeting recently, I said after we’d been talking for about an hour and an half that we’d better wind it up, but he said don’t worry, I’ve got two young children at home.
I didn’t ask him whether his family were down here on a visit or permanently.
That seemed to me at the time a bit too much, but perhaps if I had a second chance I might go for it.
I'm sensing you're getting a bit of a taste for this interviewing malarkey after your gig with the Senior Reds, Bridgy. Couple more and I reckon it will end up like this (pictured (left to right) Bridgy81, Current/Former ECFC staff-member) ;-)

1682715714766.png

Rosencrantz

I'm sensing you're getting a bit of a taste for this interviewing malarkey after your gig with the Senior Reds, Bridgy. Couple more and I reckon it will end up like this (pictured (left to right) Bridgy81, Current/Former ECFC staff-member) ;-)

View attachment 11495
Michael Sheen will really have to pull the stops out to play Bridgy 🙂