• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome George Ray

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Welcome to the club George. A ball playing centre back who headbutts concrete terraces is exactly what we need. Geddon George.

grecIAN Harris

Welcome to the club George. A ball playing centre back who headbutts concrete terraces is exactly what we need. Geddon George.
If that little dink over the top during Matt Taylor's interview is anything to go by he is but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

fred binneys head

If that little dink over the top during Matt Taylor's interview is anything to go by he is but one swallow doesn't make a summer.
I know, but I base my opinions entirely on how players describe themselves. McArdle was a ball ripping centre back, so I’m happy with a ball playing one.

Sorry Rory, too soon?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we need to stop hanging on to this game changing malarky. Any signing we make could be potentially game changing, and a marquee signing could turn out to be sheet, aka Nicky Ajose.
This is so true. Ajose came in on big dough and was very poor, yet we paid £150 per week for Dara O’Shea and he was superb. Time will tell on Ray and Rowe but I’m hopeful both will be good signings.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
An interesting write up on Ray from a Crewe fan on the football forum:

Wish George Ray all the best at Exeter. This is clearly his level as he stunk League One out with us and Tranmere. Dave Artell (a man who was very good at organising a defence in his playing career) got the best out of George Ray and that's how Ray got his big contract at Tranmere. I believe Matt Taylor was a centre half as well in his career so hopefully history can repeat itself there.

He's a player who'll always give 100%, he can be a threat from set pieces and, as his career has progressed, he was an excellent leader for us during the latter years of his time at Gresty Road. His downsides are that he can be injury prone, has the odd dreadful error in him and can pick up a cheap red card or two each season. I was glad that he showed great resilience after being cast aside by the previous management to eventually improve and become our captain. He was a week away from being binned off to Cambridge until Steve Davis was sacked and he really took his opportunity. He's matured a lot from the days when he was an arrogant young pro who was demanding to be starting games despite making mistakes week in week out, although I put that down to having played alongside Harry Davis who was absolutely useless.

Will be very interested to see how he does down South. He's always lived in Warrington so it'll be a big move and a huge change of scenery for him. A lot of our old Academy pro's often struggled with big moves away from home. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up living with his best pal down there, Plymouth's George Cooper.

fred binneys head

I think we need to stop hanging on to this game changing malarky. Any signing we make could be potentially game changing, and a marquee signing could turn out to be sheet, aka Nicky Ajose.
Whilst you’re correct in this, I think the only reason people are talking about game changers and marquee signings is because KMT has said that’s what we’re gonna get.

Personally I’m not fussed whether a new signing is what anyone would call a game changer, they put on the stripes and I’ll sing their name, whether they’re Lionel Messi or Joe Auguste.

budegrecian

An interesting write up on Ray from a Crewe fan on the football forum:

Wish George Ray all the best at Exeter. This is clearly his level as he stunk League One out with us and Tranmere. Dave Artell (a man who was very good at organising a defence in his playing career) got the best out of George Ray and that's how Ray got his big contract at Tranmere. I believe Matt Taylor was a centre half as well in his career so hopefully history can repeat itself there.

He's a player who'll always give 100%, he can be a threat from set pieces and, as his career has progressed, he was an excellent leader for us during the latter years of his time at Gresty Road. His downsides are that he can be injury prone, has the odd dreadful error in him and can pick up a cheap red card or two each season. I was glad that he showed great resilience after being cast aside by the previous management to eventually improve and become our captain. He was a week away from being binned off to Cambridge until Steve Davis was sacked and he really took his opportunity. He's matured a lot from the days when he was an arrogant young pro who was demanding to be starting games despite making mistakes week in week out, although I put that down to having played alongside Harry Davis who was absolutely useless.

Will be very interested to see how he does down South. He's always lived in Warrington so it'll be a big move and a huge change of scenery for him. A lot of our old Academy pro's often struggled with big moves away from home. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up living with his best pal down there, Plymouth's George Cooper.
Live with an Argyle player? Nooooooo!!

Rosencrantz

Live with an Argyle player? Nooooooo!!
All the better to "nobble" him 😉

hardi2b

anyone have any idea why when loading the vid of his interview I scroll down and all i get is......this
You can hear more from George here 👇 all the rest is white page!

Red Devon

Risky signing by Taylor I’m unconvinced he’s any better than Parkes, Rory etc but here’s hoping.

Reactions: Ash