• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is absolutely no way Stubbs would agree to terminate his contract early. Why would he do that from his point of view? On this basis we need to think about asking Kyle Taylor is he wouldn’t mind terminating his contract. Stubbs was signed on a 2.5 year deal. Of course he will see it out, I guarantee he gets fit at the end of the season leaves on a free and ends up playing for Dundee or someone like that.
Unfortunately here is absolutley no guarantee he will ever be fit enough to play regularly. Troy Brown had issues with his knees and was forced to retire early and Lewis Page had different injury problems but is also now without a club.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of the conundrums for our new manager, He doesn't have that manager/player relationship that MT had with Stubbs so he'll have to make that decision sooner or later, But much as I think Stubbs is a great player when fit, Unless he can go for a good amount of games he is (Unfortunately) a luxury we can't really afford, I'm sure Gary will think about this, Sit down with Stubbs and work out the best option for all. (Of course this could be all irrelevant if he got fit and stayed fit)
Not sure it's that difficult a decision. Either Sam Stubbs is forced to retire on medical advice, he sees out his contract without playing many games and is released or he plays enough games to earn a new contract.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
On seeing GC's post match interview, it is becoming clearer to me that the rationale for appointing GC may well be that he is the closest fit for a replica MT in approach and personality.

(GC has also claimed that he gives youngsters their debuts; I bet he didn't expect in his first game to give a 17 year old keeper his debut away in front of 25,000 spectators nor to secure the draw with 8 academy graduates in the finishing XI.)

tom_ecfc

Interesting to see GC out in Spain (1 week before his ecfc management appointment) watching/learning from the games between Girona vs Barca, youth and 1st teams.

Grecian Max

Interesting to see GC out in Spain (1 week before his ecfc management appointment) watching/learning from the games between Girona vs Barca, youth and 1st teams.

Hashtag learning 😂😂

Red Devon

If he was in Girona I hope he managed to hire a bike for a few days 🚴

elginCity

The Big Min should capitalise his surname...attention to detail ! :)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
GC interview on talk sport 2 (the EFL show) on now 18.55 good PR for the Club too.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really good listen

Grecianpasty

Really good listen
Can you give break down what was discussed?