• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I won't forgive this board if they act so late we get relegated. As it stands, although not ideal - we still have time.
You're more optimistic than me on the medium term. I think if we get a new manager in tomorrow, we've got an outside shot at still being league one next season. Too many issues , too few weak sides. Presumably Reading and Carlisle pick up... Cheltenham and Fleetwood already doing so. Tough ask as of right now, I think.

dontpassback

it was interesting to note that some of the questions asked by the bbc after the shrews game were far more challenging than anything he is asked by the clubs media team.in january i think the fulham lad could be back and a striker will arrive,will it be enough to turn the tide,i dont really know,the effort and application was there on tues.and if coles free kick had gone in,things wiould be a lot more positive,but we failed to beat a very poor team,and its only down to fleetwood being so poor that we arent in the relegation spots.the game against a struggling port vale team could define our season,we need more consistency,and i dont mean being consistently poor UTC

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
You're more optimistic than me on the medium term. I think if we get a new manager in tomorrow, we've got an outside shot at still being league one next season. Too many issues , too few weak sides. Presumably Reading and Carlisle pick up... Cheltenham and Fleetwood already doing so. Tough ask as of right now, I think.
I do disagree here, it’s a weak league

Orient, Wycombe, Shrewsbury, Northampton, Burton, Cambridge all in the fight for survival IMO

Shrewsbury were absolutely dire and are 12th

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster

Orient, Wycombe, Shrewsbury, Northampton, Burton, Cambridge all in the fight for survival IMO

Shrews better than we saw though... Much better at home and deep injury crisis. We'll see anyway, won't we. How much can a new guy do with these players plus some January recruits? Time will tell, but a huge ask, imo.

Boyo

I do agree there is some dross in the league. I'd add Port Vale to your list and probably Lincoln, who we really should have beaten.

Then there are several teams who to me look quality. Bolton, Pompey and Oxford will battle it our for the autos, while Barnsley, Derby, Peterborough along with Blackpool and possibly Wigan and Stevenage will fight it out for the playoffs. Then there's Charlton and Rovers who will be mid table. Then pretty much everyone else who will be looking over their shoulders, including Reading.

Obviously signings in January will be key.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone thinking that signing a striker (or two) is going to make a big difference…

May I point you in the direction of the last £1m rated forward we had, how many games he played this season (and in total under GC) and how many goals he scored? Compare and contrast with prior to GC.

Boyo

I do agree there is some dross in the league. I'd add Port Vale to your list and probably Lincoln, who we really should have beaten.

Then there are several teams who to me look quality. Bolton, Pompey and Oxford will battle it our for the autos, while Barnsley, Derby, Peterborough along with Blackpool and possibly Wigan and Stevenage will fight it out for the playoffs. Then there's Charlton and Rovers who will be mid table. Then pretty much everyone else who will be looking over their shoulders, including Reading.

Obviously signings in January will be key.
And just to follow on from my own post, I think I'm right in saying that of the 18 points we currently have, only 3 points were picked up against teams currently in the top half, versus 15 points against teams in the bottom half.

Boyo

Anyone thinking that signing a striker (or two) is going to make a big difference…

May I point you in the direction of the last £1m rated forward we had, how many games he played this season (and in total under GC) and how many goals he scored? Compare and contrast with prior to GC.
Nombe scored 8 in the L2 promotion year under MT.

He then scored 15 in L1 last year (9 of which were under GC, and mainly without Jevani Brown to create chances).

This season he played in 5 games for us. He didn't score, but we won 3 and drew 1.

I think we all know a quality striker would really help us right now.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nombe scored 8 in the L2 promotion year under MT.
Out injured for a significant chunk of that season IIRC.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we all know a quality striker would really help us right now.
Think the exact same set up, but with a really good striker (let's just say Nombe for the sake of example), probably wins that game vs Shrewsbury. But most of the other games we've had over recent weeks, they'd just cast a dejected figure chasing shadows around the halfway line. Need fundamental change (Manager) and that has to include the addition of forward players. Not a single striker, but a strikeforce. Not sure the ins and outs on Muskwe, but if he's on big money and we can send him back, then that'll hopefully help.