• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Walsall vs Exeter City (FA Match day thread)

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Still can't work out how we contrived to lose against a very poor Walsall (nothing against them, maybe they had key players out too and good luck to them against the daggers), we should have won with the players we had on the pitch and I think we would have if just one out of Nards, Noble, Bauza or Taylor had been fit/available.

Tactically if we're going to play 5 at the back then Gollum and Tulls need to play as wing-backs not full-backs; both failed to offer anything going forward. Also I don't like to slate players but O'Flynn just wasn't at the races last night and Nichols sadly took over where he left off.

On the plus side, Frear was a real threat and deserved his goal, a shame Dunny's legs started to go soon after Frear came on as those two combined really well for 10 mins or so, seemed to have a good understanding going.

Poultice

Am going to disagree with what I see as misplaced sentiment on Sheps and Nicholls.
I know where you are at with this but think you are being a tad harsh, I haven't seen enough of Nicholls to form an opinion but Shep has definitely got the tools, he just lacks the confidence to play his game, it's no good him trying to play like Nobby, he doesn't have the presence, but what he does have is quick feet and a decent eye for a pass, unfortunately, iyrc, Noble, an ex championship player, has suffered to settle into the side over some period of time, Shep has had no time and is coming into a team with little shape or cohesion and has not had an extended run except earlier this season when we were utter pants.

Strange sentence structure there, my apologies.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know where you are at with this but think you are being a tad harsh, I haven't seen enough of Nicholls to form an opinion but Shep has definitely got the tools, he just lacks the confidence to play his game, it's no good him trying to play like Nobby, he doesn't have the presence, but what he does have is quick feet and a decent eye for a pass, unfortunately, iyrc, Noble, an ex championship player, has suffered to settle into the side over some period of time, Shep has had no time and is coming into a team with little shape or cohesion and has not had an extended run except earlier this season when we were utter pants.

Strange sentence structure there, my apologies.
Top analysis, though. Just because he was in Noble's position doesn't mean they are going to play the same game.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not going to get too bothered about losing this one, we've had a "glamour" cup tie this season and I'd rather see us concentrate on the league. Plus I really didn't want to have to go to Dagenham in December, especially with Orient the week after.

Antony Moxey

Spot on Poults.

Ant - Offy is O'Flynn.
So who is 'Offal'?

PeteUSA

I thought O'Flynn was Offline?

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
So who is 'Offal'?
Same person.

Poultice

Top analysis, though. Just because he was in Noble's position doesn't mean they are going to play the same game.
Come on Posty you are better than that, what I was referring to was the way in which Nobby uses his physical presence to retain possession, Shep can't do that for obvious reasons, their role should be similar in respect of the distribution of the ball but the way in which they achieve that has to differ diametrically, pace against power don't you know ?

Shep absolutely needs to have men open to play one touch, I would prefer it Nobby did the same, I loves me tempo me, but I also appreciate his ability to hold the ball up when perhaps no first time ball exists.

Grecian Max

Shepherd is out of his depth at this level.

Oldsmobile-88

....and sold out of chicken balti pie's :mad:
You & Poult had the last two....Don't be greedy..;)

Well some good reports posted & pretty much of my opinion...Disappointing that we did not create a chance in extra time.Once Walsall had got in front,that was it.

Walsall like Yeovil have been struggling,but both of those teams,have got the better of the Grecians in the 2nd period,when we seem to fade quite badly..