• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Wage structure

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think most lower league players are on a lot less than most fans' wild guesses. I've regurgitated this so many times that i'm started to bore myself, but about 3 years Christian Ribiero was a guest at one of our GWG meetings, he told us that at that time, L2 wages was between £600-£1200 per week. Now average wages may have increased since then, but i don't believe they'll have gone that much. As a players salary is legally a private matter between himself, and the club, i've no idea why people choose to believe the wild claims of fans of other clubs regarding how much their players are paid. That doesnt mean tha clubs wont have 2 or three players paid way more than the average, but if its a choice between the guesswork of fans and a straight from the horses mouth players statement, i know which one i'll believe.
As Andrew say, there's also employer's NI and possibly WPP contributions to take into account, so i very much doubt that the vast majority of our players are being paid as much as some appear to think.
This is I believe broadly correct. As a matter of pure arithmetic with +/- 30 professional players and a P1 budget of £1.5M the average (mean) salary including NI must be +/- £50K.

Boyo

Think most lower league players are on a lot less than most fans' wild guesses. I've regurgitated this so many times that i'm started to bore myself, but about 3 years Christian Ribiero was a guest at one of our GWG meetings, he told us that at that time, L2 wages was between £600-£1200 per week. Now average wages may have increased since then, but i don't believe they'll have gone that much. As a players salary is legally a private matter between himself, and the club, i've no idea why people choose to believe the wild claims of fans of other clubs regarding how much their players are paid. That doesnt mean tha clubs wont have 2 or three players paid way more than the average, but if its a choice between the guesswork of fans and a straight from the horses mouth players statement, i know which one i'll believe.
As Andrew say, there's also employer's NI and possibly WPP contributions to take into aaccou, so i very much doubt that the vast majority of our players are being paid as much as some appear to think.
Interestingly the median average of the wage structure in the OP is £1,000 / week and the mean is £1,300 per week, so it may not be a million miles away, especially if our current budget is at the 'competitive' end of the division.