• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Victoria Inn

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I see that the North Bridge Inn on St David's Hill is now also open again after being closed for several years.
Have some very good memories and pictures from the North Bridge when Ron and Rose used to run it , nice to see it open again.

The Duke has reopened aswell after a refurb ........ Now it looks like every other pub with tea and coffee drinkers taking priority over people who want a pint !

If you want tea , coffee and a little biscuit bugger off to a café !

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back in the old days before he passed on, I always used to go to the Vic with my Dad before home games when I was living semi-locally, used to love the place, although it could take a while to get served sometimes.......this is late 80's to mid 90's

iscalad

You should know by now Fareham not to ask a direct question that would require any sort of concrete answer !

Never a fan of the Vic tbh even when I lived in Springfield road the only times I use to go in there was before gigs up at the uni.
Used to live in Springfield Road. Often frequented the Vic. Late 80s, Early 90s.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Never been in this place, I have walked past it for about 25 years on my way to the ground, in recent years it always seemed packed with students, were they giving drinks away ??

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Never been in this place, I have walked past it for about 25 years on my way to the ground, in recent years it always seemed packed with students, were they giving drinks away ??
Student discounts !! why not give a working mans discount instead and have real drinkers fill the pub all night !

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who thought painting it black was a good idea, looked shocking last time I saw it.

STURTZ

Was a regular pre match haunt for me but got tired of fighting my way through overpriviledged students to get to the bar only to find the beer was finished or badly kept. Also the fact that it closed for the uni holidays was a major **** off.

Might give it another try now.

Oldsmobile-88

Have some very good memories and pictures from the North Bridge when Ron and Rose used to run it , nice to see it open again.

The Duke has reopened aswell after a refurb ........ Now it looks like every other pub with tea and coffe

If you want tea , coffee and a little biscuit bugger off to a café !
Ha...Indeed..Perhaps the coffee house chains should start selling ale..:D

While we are reminiscing,my pre match haunt in the 1980’s was the Hotel cellar bar on the corner of Pennsylvania Rd/Union Rd..It’s name escapes me...Was it the mount Edgecombe Hotel. ?

Oldsmobile-88

All these other options do of course take business away from Exeter Citys on site facilities on matchdays. I take it thats okay?
Yep...All about choice Pete..The real ale section of the Centre Spot is excellent,run by top guys,It’s a bit too busy for me in there on match days,hence I drink elsewhere.I do pop in if it’s warm & sunny & sup ale in Red Square.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ha...Indeed..Perhaps the coffee house chains should start selling ale..:D

While we are reminiscing,my pre match haunt in the 1980’s was the Hotel cellar bar on the corner of Pennsylvania Rd/Union Rd..It’s name escapes me...Was it the mount Edgecombe Hotel. ?
It was the Mount Edgecombe one of the few places around the city I never drank in (hiccup)

But you know where im coming from with the bloody tea n coffee brigade , you know if you in a bit of a rush for a pre match pint the git stood in front of you is going to order 4 chocolatta skinny vegan gluton free latte's that take 25 minutes to make because the other barman is down in the cellar changing a barrel. A good barman can pull 3 pints do 3 shorts a bag of scratchings a pickled egg and tell you how much to pay by the time the first pint on the pump is ready to be topped off !