• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Update on the SJP works

Andy Holloway

Meant to also say that the pavement from the garage in Old Tivvy Road to Stadium Way and then down Stadium Way itself is now covered in markings of various colours. I presume they’re something to do with underground cables or pipes and are in relation to the student block build.
And very colourful and bright it looks as well! They could also be used as queuing lines for the massive crowd we'll have on Sunday.

On which subject, if you used to park behind the BB on Match Days they best you look for alternative parking, it's closed off and fenced off now.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Meant to also say that the pavement from the garage in Old Tivvy Road to Stadium Way and then down Stadium Way itself is now covered in markings of various colours. I presume they’re something to do with underground cables or pipes and are in relation to the student block build.
Wouldn’t know what they’re in relation to but that’s exactly what they are: underground services. There’ll be different colours for electricity, telecoms, surface, foul and mains water and gas. They’ll be pretty accurate too and, if there are numbers sprayed, may include the depths of those particular services as well. Finding and plotting them is something of a black art, although I always found it easiest to trace drainage routes.

malcolms

Wouldn’t know what they’re in relation to but that’s exactly what they are: underground services. There’ll be different colours for electricity, telecoms, surface, foul and mains water and gas. They’ll be pretty accurate too and, if there are numbers sprayed, may include the depths of those particular services as well. Finding and plotting them is something of a black art, although I always found it easiest to trace drainage routes.
Yep, I can imagine you slouching around holding a divining rod..... :)

dontpassback

People hitting them with diggers,never seems to hard,although with so many different depths and locations,it is not surprising.i remember a dial before you dig campaign back in the 80s,but I am not sure it was a stunning success :)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
People hitting them with diggers,never seems to hard,although with so many different depths and locations,it is not surprising.i remember a dial before you dig campaign back in the 80s,but I am not sure it was a stunning success :)
The really annoying thing is when they have dug up the road 2 weeks later they come back to dig it all up again.

Magdalen road seemed to be getting dug up every fortnight last year.

Antony Moxey

Standard these days is to scan a dig area first even if it has already been scanned just to make sure.

dontpassback

Standard these days is to scan a dig area first even if it has already been scanned just to make sure.
I think the cat scanners now are far more accurate,and to be fair there doesn't seem to be as many mishaps as there used to be,although I don't know what happened with the ikea gas pipe the other night.

Antony Moxey

I think the cat scanners now are far more accurate,and to be fair there doesn't seem to be as many mishaps as there used to be,although I don't know what happened with the ikea gas pipe the other night.
Cat scans won’t pick up gas, or at least not that accurately. You’d need GPR (ground penetrating radar) for that, and a decent operator too. Of course it’s not unknown for a pipe to be in a different place to that shown on a plan...

scholsey

Cat scans won’t pick up gas, or at least not that accurately. You’d need GPR (ground penetrating radar) for that, and a decent operator too. Of course it’s not unknown for a pipe to be in a different place to that shown on a plan...
They certainly will pick up gas.
At least steel/metallic ones anyone, PE is a different kettle of fish.
Also if there's somewhere to hook onto you can send a signal down that pipe and locate it that way.

Not plastic though, there probably are some kind of scanners around which costs thousands to even rent. (Don't quote me on that)

Antony Moxey

They certainly will pick up gas.
At least steel/metallic ones anyone, PE is a different kettle of fish.
Also if there's somewhere to hook onto you can send a signal down that pipe and locate it that way.

Not plastic though, there probably are some kind of scanners around which costs thousands to even rent. (Don't quote me on that)
GPR. Not thousands to hire but certainly many many thousands to buy. As for cats I was thinking more of plastic pipes, same with water mains - devilishly difficult to plot accurately. Even the non-plastic pipes are tricky especially if you can’t get a hook on - not many gas or water pipes are accessible at the surface, chambers could be way off site. Drainage is so much easier to trace and plot.