• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Update on the SJP works

godisagrecian

All coming along swimmingly..I do agree though, lovely new stand and tatty old turnstiles.......surely they could have knocked them down and rebuilt in keeping with, and blending in with, the new stand. Also, surely, an opportune moment to move to barcode turnstiles.
As thousands pay on the gate each week, that wouldn't work

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
All coming along swimmingly..I do agree though, lovely new stand and tatty old turnstiles.......surely they could have knocked them down and rebuilt in keeping with, and blending in with, the new stand. Also, surely, an opportune moment to move to barcode turnstiles.
The turnstiles will be refurbished, and two new ones erected for the BB on the Jungle Path.

As regards barcodes etc., the Club are keeping up with developments in this area but will only move if and when it is financially and logistically viable. Having been part of long queues to buy tickets then gain entry at barcode-only grounds, I have to say I'm not convinced.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Having been part of long queues to buy tickets then gain entry at barcode-only grounds, I have to say I'm not convinced.
Me neither - Barnet last season was a joke. Fortunately I got there early but those who like to roll up 15 minutes before KO found themselves delayed due to only one or two ticket booths being open then having the rigmarole of getting in afterwards.

AndrewP

As thousands pay on the gate each week, that wouldn't work
New grandstand won't be pay on the gate as seated and need to be bought in advance, albeit often on the day from the Ticket booth in Red Square. I've always been nervous about cash on a gate, how is it reconciled with entry as there is no "till" as such ?.

AndrewP

The turnstiles will be refurbished, and two new ones erected for the BB on the Jungle Path.

As regards barcodes etc., the Club are keeping up with developments in this area but will only move if and when it is financially and logistically viable. Having been part of long queues to buy tickets then gain entry at barcode-only grounds, I have to say I'm not convinced.
Savings on staff ?. I've been to a few barcode entry's and never had an issue...

Either way, they certainly need sprucing up at the very least as they are currently horrid

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Savings on staff ?. I've been to a few barcode entry's and never had an issue...

Either way, they certainly need sprucing up at the very least as they are currently horrid
At Mansfield there always seems to be as many staff assisting the supporters as there would be operating turnstiles. And they don't sell tickets to away fans on the day, which must lose them money. At Preston a couple of years ago it took 20 minutes to buy a ticket and another 10 to get into the ground. Barnet has also been mentioned.

There ARE of course advantages of barcode turnstiles, but they are expensive to purchase, install and maintain. The costs / benefits are not yet clear to me at a stadium like ours with a huge terrace and a cramped site with difficult logistics.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Some nice aerial video work on the club Twitter site.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1018866435429453825

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've always been nervous about cash on a gate, how is it reconciled with entry as there is no "till" as such ?.
I've looked at this in the past. Our turnstiles have had both mechanical and electronic counting devices attached to them. Whether they always worked effectively however is another matter.

Boyo

At Mansfield there always seems to be as many staff assisting the supporters as there would be operating turnstiles. And they don't sell tickets to away fans on the day, which must lose them money. At Preston a couple of years ago it took 20 minutes to buy a ticket and another 10 to get into the ground. Barnet has also been mentioned.

There ARE of course advantages of barcode turnstiles, but they are expensive to purchase, install and maintain. The costs / benefits are not yet clear to me at a stadium like ours with a huge terrace and a cramped site with difficult logistics.
The Chiefs have bar code turnstiles / tickets. The primary benefit I can see are the logistics of not having to print or distribute 10,000 tickets for each game. The model is you purchase online and print your own. The cost savings to the Chiefs must be significant. It also generates really rich customer data, that can then be utilised for marketing purposes, price strategies etc etc.

That model works when demand outstrips supply. However inevitably the system creates some barriers for some people, who probably just can't / won't attend using that model. For a club like ECFC every paying customer is important so I have my reservations. The cost saving through logistics of printing and distribution would also be significantly more limited for a Club that averages c4k fans each match.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I've looked at this in the past. Our turnstiles have had both mechanical and electronic counting devices attached to them. Whether they always worked effectively however is another matter.
How do you mean " worked effectively " ? Either the system works or doesn't.

Season ticket stubs totalled up
Pre bought tickets from the booth totalled up
Pay on the gate numbers totalled up = X amount of people in the BB