• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Update on the SJP works

Andy Holloway

Hants is far faster at posting the photos than i am at writing my post!!!

Benguin

Yes, thanks for the photos Andy and anyone else involved.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hants is far faster at posting the photos than i am at writing my post!!!
Sorry. Hope you enjoyed New Zealand.

Andy Holloway

Sorry. Hope you enjoyed New Zealand.
Brilliant, 1m photos wouldn't be enough to capture the wonderful scenery. I was able to follow the Saturday games on my tablet at 0300 Sunday morning, and the Tuesday game at 0245 while in our hotel in Hong Kong on our way home, my wife not too pleased, but hey ho, it's ECFC!!

Benguin

I've been in SJP today and taken some photos which, hopefully, Hants will post here shortly.

When they are posted please look closely at the ones that show the concrete base of the stand and note it's proximity to 'jungle path'.

If my facts are correct, 'jungle path' is classified as an 'escape route' and as such, has to be a minimum of 3m wide. The corner of the new stand is smack on that distance and as such is as close as is allowed. To move the base any closer to the BB, and increase the size of the stand, would entail reducing the width of 'jungle path'/evacuation route, something that would contravene safety regulations. It could be done if; a. Network Rail allowed us to build out onto the railway bank - not going to happen in a month of Sundays, Saturdays and any other day of the week! b. the depth of the stand was reduced, this would allow it to be moved closer the BB but then would mean that it would have reduced depth thereby reduced seating capacity!

In summary then, the size of the NEW stand is as large as it can be, and is as close to the BB as it can be as such, can we finally put the 'theory' and constant moaning that it should be nearer the BB and we've been 'sold a pup' to bed, once and for all!

Yes, i think everyone has taken that on board.
The scheme allows for expansion though at a later stage, with an angled extension going down to just a few rows nearer the BB.

Wether this will ever be worth the money for the small increase in capacity is anyones guess.
But it certainly has been allowed for in the design and is not a huge engineering task.

For example, the new stand at Headingly for the rugby league team is angled at one end to allow for the triangular site and this is just one example.

i am not making any statements about wether or not we have been short changed(no pun intended) just pointing out what is possible and what has actually been allowed for in the design.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've been in SJP today and taken some photos which, hopefully, Hants will post here shortly.

When they are posted please look closely at the ones that show the concrete base of the stand and note it's proximity to 'jungle path'.

If my facts are correct, 'jungle path' is classified as an 'escape route' and as such, has to be a minimum of 3m wide. The corner of the new stand is smack on that distance and as such is as close as is allowed. To move the base any closer to the BB, and increase the size of the stand, would entail reducing the width of 'jungle path'/evacuation route, something that would contravene safety regulations. It could be done if; a. Network Rail allowed us to build out onto the railway bank - not going to happen in a month of Sundays, Saturdays and any other day of the week! b. the depth of the stand was reduced, this would allow it to be moved closer the BB but then would mean that it would have reduced depth thereby reduced seating capacity!

In summary then, the size of the NEW stand is as large as it can be, and is as close to the BB as it can be as such, can we finally put the 'theory' and constant moaning that it should be nearer the BB and we've been 'sold a pup' to bed, once and for all!
I disagree.

I have no problems whatsoever with the size, location and layout of the new stand, however to say it is as large as it could be is simply wrong. It could be extended further towards the BB, however it would have to taper. Your excellent photos show this (the 'empty' area behind the 'Thrifty' and 'Signs Express' advertising boards), and it should be remembered that the OG itself tapered towards that end. Also, the stand doesn't go all the way to the goal line at the away end end, so it could also be extended in that direction too.

So no, it's not as large as it can be, not by some distance. Oh, I agree with you that we haven't been sold a 'pup' too.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Now the enabling project that is paying for all this work

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/siteassets/pdf/beforeandaftersjp.pdf

These images show what things should look like from outside once all the work is done. From that it appears the existing turnstiles and housing are staying but I am sure it will be given a coat of paint to tidy it up. The other images show that the well st and st James road boundaries are going to be tidied up with some new brickwork as well.

I am looking forwards to seeing it progress much faster now , and think even with the unfortunate gap the end result will be good to see.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I disagree.

I have no problems whatsoever with the size, location and layout of the new stand, however to say it is as large as it could be is simply wrong. It could be extended further towards the BB, however it would have to taper. Your excellent photos show this (the 'empty' area behind the 'Thrifty' and 'Signs Express' advertising boards), and it should be remembered that the OG itself tapered towards that end. Also, the stand doesn't go all the way to the goal line at the away end end, so it could also be extended in that direction too.

So no, it's not as large as it can be, not by some distance. Oh, I agree with you that we haven't been sold a 'pup' too.
But that tapered concreted area has been set aside for tea huts and bogs.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Once its all done especially the corner section near Well St will make it look brilliant.