• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Under 21s Premier League Cup: Exeter v Torquay

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
What's the new keeper like? Able deputy to Krysiak if Pym is injured?
To be honest, he didn't have that much to do for most of the night but what he did he did very well and his handling and kicking were excellent. Seemed quite commending of his area. Big tall lad, same stature as Artur. No chance with their goal.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Thanks both. Nice to see the Premier league thinking beyond their natural boundaries. I guess the big boys don't play their home games at thier real home so a game against Chelsea or Arsenal will be at Barnet or Aldershot or such like.
I believe that for this competition all sides have to play their home games at their home ground. not sure if all premier league sides have entered, but would hope so as the competition has been launched by the league. think if we got past Palace it wouldn't be regionalised for the round after so we could get a nice draw at a big ground, but imagine it will be a big ask to knock palace out.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
To be honest, he didn't have that much to do for most of the night but what he did he did very well and his handling and kicking were excellent. Seemed quite commending of his area. Big tall lad, same stature as Artur. No chance with their goal.
also depends how long Pym is out, the exeweb write up states he has been training with us and is currently on non contract and unpaid so no guarantee he will be here all season.

malcolms

Used to be a great ground back in the 80s, that massive open terrace for the away fans was a great place to be when the sun was shining.

Presume its all covered and seated now, haven't been for over 20 years.
Your memory is playing tricks with you...the Arthur Wait stand, which replaced the open terrace, was opened in 1969.....

The ground has evolved from a 3 bedroom semi and become 6 bedrooms with an extension and outside toilets.....I was a junior there and the place was a ****house then and it's a ****house with tiling now....... :)

Pete Martin (CTID)

....... but imagine it will be a big ask to knock palace out.
Indeed it would, but the way the U18s played against their Man City counterparts a few weeks ago coupled with last night's solid showing at U21 level, makes me feel relatively optimistic.

Tim Long

Sadly Stuart James didn't mention in his report getting hit in the face with the ball and nearly dropping his laptop.

John William

Your memory is playing tricks with you...the Arthur Wait stand, which replaced the open terrace, was opened in 1969.....

The ground has evolved from a 3 bedroom semi and become 6 bedrooms with an extension and outside toilets.....I was a junior there and the place was a ****house then and it's a ****house with tiling now....... :)
IIRC in the 80s away fans had the section of the Holmesdale end nearest the Arthur Wait Stand, which was for Palace ST holders.

I assume you had a bad time there? It's not a great ground for facilities but your criticism is way OTT.

StroudGrecian

As JW says, it was the Holmesdale Road end, which Wiki tells me was converted to seating in the 90s.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I certainly remember standing on the big open terrace behind the goal. My mate told a Wimbledon player to "Bugger off" when he was stopping Neville Southall from taking a kick from hands. Said Wimbledon player heeded the advice.

malcolms

I certainly remember standing on the big open terrace behind the goal. My mate told a Wimbledon player to "Bugger off" when he was stopping Neville Southall from taking a kick from hands. Said Wimbledon player heeded the advice.
The major part of the Holmesdale End was always for home supporters when Palace played at home, hence the title of their fans site. When Wimb played at home there were so few supporters that no one gave a toss where they stood.