• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Uber

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
TfL strips them of their licence to operate in London:

To me this seems to be politically motivated - I've used Uber a few times and have had nothing but positive things to say about them.

Would be interested to hear others' views!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not available in Exeter :)

Alistair20000

M'Learned Friends are no doubt rubbing their hands.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Not availble in my area.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Interestingly in a local Conservative WhatsApp group this news was posted, one member then going off on one about how glad he was that this company should be banned.

I wondered whether said member was a black cab driver. Lo and behold a few posts later, it was confirmed...! Vested interest much?

Ian Russon

This is not the first time that Transport For London have tried to stop Uber working on their network system. They failed last time and they'll fail this time. Boris Johnson has a weird hatred for Uber.

I think the service they provide is top notch.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
This is not the first time that Transport For London have tried to stop Uber working on their network system. They failed last time and they'll fail this time. Boris Johnson has a weird hatred for Uber.

I think the service they provide is top notch.
Does he? I thought it was Sadiq Khan's decision.

Ian Russon

The first time TFL tried to ban Uber was when Boris was Mayor Of London. If TFL don't want Uber in London, then why are Uber still trading? Obviously they're a private company so surely TFL could just simply ban them from the road network.

Something does not seem to add up.

Alistair20000

Is the issue that they have not complied with regulatory requirements in which case there will be appeal procedures ? Might even end up with Brenda and her chums in the Supreme Court, unless she has retired by then.

Indo will no doubt lay into Sadiq (or whichever functionary made the decision) if he/they spunk a whole load of cash on failed litigation.

Grecian2K

How very dare they ban Uber!!!
Whether it be exploitative recruitment and employment methods, workplace behaviour, ethical business practices, data protection and overall conduct they seem the perfect model for rampant 21st century capitalism.
Just can't understand why so many places have banned them.