• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Bridgy 81

On paper I think we have a decent squad now and hopefully all of them will be available to actually be on the pitch soon.
But I’ve been doing a bit of research about current contract lengths.
I realize a lot of water is likely to pass under the bridge between now, next January and the end of the season but I’d be keen to see some of our current squad signed up to extensions over the coming months.
Because as far as I can make out those who will be with us beyond the end of this season currently are only:
Sweeney 2026
Aitchison 2025
Aimson 2025
Niskanen 2025
Fitzwater 2025
Harper 2025 (with a further 1 year option)
and
Jules and Cole if their one year deals have their second year triggered.
So at present that’s only 8 players contracted beyond this season and that includes those who’d need an option to be taken up.
I don’t fancy us needing to make 13 new signings again next summer.

Last edited:

TotnesGrecian

I wouldn't be surprised to see people come in for Demi to be honest, he looks better and better each week and I think he knows he is better than L1...

Especially given this..

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't be surprised to see people come in for Demi to be honest, he looks better and better each week and I think he knows he is better than L1...

Especially given this..

I think players should be aiming to play beyond the 35th minute of any game.

On a more serious note, Demi is quality and we are unlikely to be able to keep him when his contract expires (next summer IIRC). In January 2024 clubs are unlikely to shell out the sort of cash we' d then want

TotnesGrecian

On a more serious note, Demi is quality and we are unlikely to be able to keep him when his contract expires (next summer IIRC). In January 2024 clubs are unlikely to shell out the sort of cash we' d then want
The same was said about nombe... clubs unlikely to shell out money when his contract ends in the summer...

andrew p long

The same was said about nombe... clubs unlikely to shell out money when his contract ends in the summer...
Yes that's true but there are differences between the position of Nombe and Mitchell. First Nombe had a year left on his contract whereas in January Mitchell will have just a few months left. Clubs will have a choice of paying whatever price we want for Mitchell or getting him to sign a pre-contract agreement for the summer for nothing. Secondly Nombe, as a centre forward, was in the position that most clubs are desperate to sign. Also Mitchell will be 27 by the end of the January window so, even if he is successful at his new club , will have quite a limited resale value.

People said 'a club would have to be desperate to pay £1m for Nombe' and I agreed , but thought there may well be a club sufficiently desperate to do so (it turned out there were at least two) . My guess is that there will not be that level of desperation and that (say) if someone offers 200k for Mitchell in January we may well decide to turn it down.

grecIAN Harris

Carry on doing what we're doing at the moment (and I know how wishful thinking that sounds even given the fact we are top of the table) and he could be playing Championship football for a manager who has trust and faith in him. In that situation, why would he turn a new contract down?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Carry on doing what we're doing at the moment (and I know how wishful thinking that sounds even given the fact we are top of the table) and he could be playing Championship football for a manager who has trust and faith in him. In that situation, why would he turn a new contract down?
Money. Footballers have to be dispassioned. Its often that simple. There are L1 clubs that can pay more than we could even if we got to the Champ.

grecIAN Harris

Money. Footballers have to be dispassioned. Its often that simple. There are L1 clubs that can pay more than we could even if we got to the Champ.
Footballers also have this thing about playing football. I know it's a bit of a strange concept but it really is true and they also want to play the highest level possible. A lot of the players Caldwell has got in are players that he has known about for quite some time and not just known about but been in contact with. That's why they're here playing for City, they're here because of him. Any one of our players could walk straight to Wrexham and pick up twice what we're giving them.
Hartridge is obviously one of our own and doesn't come into that category but Caldwell is improving his game in ways Taylor couldn't and that will count for a lot and if we could get up along with the draw of playing for the team he's grown up with will pull a lot also. I rate Alex for us, have from the moment I saw him, but he has a ceiling and that is mid table Championship. Put it all together and it's not just a simple money move if we could pull it all off.
Note: I've said if because it's a bloody big if but we've got off to a decent start with not exactly the easiest of fixtures so who's to say we might just pull off every City fans dream.

andrew p long

Let's consider that scenario. Mitchell and City have a fabulous season and win promotion to the Championship. If Mitchell is out of contract the world will be his oyster. There will be clubs vying for his signature who can and will pay him wages of multiples of what ECFC could afford. Plus possibly a chunky signing on fee. The money difference wouldn't be marginal ,but massive.

grecIAN Harris

Let's consider that scenario. Mitchell and City have a fabulous season and win promotion to the Championship. If Mitchell is out of contract the world will be his oyster. There will be clubs vying for his signature who can and will pay him wages of multiples of what ECFC could afford. Plus possibly a chunky signing on fee. The money difference wouldn't be marginal ,but massive.
Mitchell is 28, the world isn't quite as big as that age as it maybe say for someone like Alex Hartridge. It's not like he's been kicking around in the most see salubrious of clubs either.