• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tranmere Rovers v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Legohead

Banned
Are you really suggesting that Page made a pre meditated decision to block the ball with his hands? :unsure:
Ok. Take your point. Let's just call it naive and terrible defending then.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that technically speaking both those are penalties with the rules as they stand. It just seems like we've had plenty of good claims for similar pens this season and not got them.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ok. Take your point. Let's just call it naive and terrible defending then.
It's not even that. It's natural positioning. I'd challenge you to run at a decent speed, try and block the ball without your arms being away from your side. It's virtually impossible. Why? Because you don't run with your arms straight down from your shoulders. You run with your arms bent at the elbows, moving in a piston motion so as soon as you go to block the ball one arm will be in front of your body and one behind your body. When you're as close as Page was to the cross you've got no chance of getting your arms out of the way.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree that technically speaking both those are penalties with the rules as they stand. It just seems like we've had plenty of good claims for similar pens this season and not got them.
You don't have to look back over the season to see examples of inconsistent refereeing but just a second or two. As Ian Harris has pointed out if the very minor contact between McCardle and Clarke is worthy of a foul then the Tranmere player who had his hands around Bowman's neck and stopped him challenging for the ball should definitely have been penalised.

56591616333659134.png

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
It's not even that. It's natural positioning. I'd challenge you to run at a decent speed, try and block the ball without your arms being away from your side. It's virtually impossible. Why? Because you don't run with your arms straight down from your shoulders. You run with your arms bent at the elbows, moving in a piston motion so as soon as you go to block the ball one arm will be in front of your body and one behind your body. When you're as close as Page was to the cross you've got no chance of getting your arms out of the way.
His arms were all over the shop. Both of them. Not just one. As though making a movement a goalkeeper would to dive to save a shot. Clear pen. Bad defending.

I'll have to watch it again to make sure.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
His arms were all over the shop. Both of them. Not just one. As though making a movement a goalkeeper would to dive to save a shot. Clear pen. Bad defending.
Bang on.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman goes down like a sack of sh1t too often, therefore he doesn't get fouls at times when he should.

He's the one player in our side who tries to get opposition booked / sent off, unfortunately the officials are aware of it now.

grecIAN Harris

I'll have to watch it again to make sure.
Me and you both.......... ;)

Colesman Ballz

[QUOTE="The Proper Chap, With regards to the second pen, the lino flagged for it and he had a better view than anyone.
[/QUOTE]

The day that we are not allowed to indulge ourselves in questioning the eyesight of the officials is the day I give up following football ! 😎

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The day that we are not allowed to indulge ourselves in questioning the eyesight of the officials is the day I give up following football ! 😎
Fair point Ballz, I was merely pointing out the lino was the one who flagged it up (literally).