• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale "The whole thing has been hurtful"

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Re: "The whole thing has been hurtful"

If it had to be a choice, would your prefer the Trust or Paul Tisdale? I'd go for the Trust.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster

“Time is running out,” he says. “It’s been at least a year since we started discussing these things and they’ve not come up with anything.”

"I’ve had more than 600 games as Exeter manager and I’ve been running a business.”
Just picking out these 2 points:

As regards the first, I would be surprised if by now the Club has not offered new contract terms. Does he really mean that what has been offered is not acceptable to him ? I believe that has been suggested elsewhere.

As regards the second point, what have the Club Board with its Trust Board members been doing as regards running the business ? Surely Tisdale's job is to manage the team and his playing budget and not the business as a whole ? Where else would a football manager be responsible for the whole business ? So is what he says true or does Billy Big Bollox feature in this ?

STURTZ

I see the article as just getting his name out there for potential employers and perhaps getting a shot across the bows of the trust for changing his contract.

Personally I think Tisdale has done a great job and I've enjoyed his tenure, others will tell you just how crap it was before and any success was accompanied by rapid decline and resultant economic melt down. Our new stability may be down to the trust model and youth delevopment but he has had to operate within those financial constraints and play his part in bringing on the kids. I can't begrudge him time to move on but don't like all the sniping and techiness about how he has been treated. Just waiting for the old "I could have gone to Swansea" crap.

If he goes or stays I don't mind, there are the signs of progression within the club he mentions, I've always seen becoming established in league 1 and ground development as our realistic long term goals. He may well see himself as wanting to go further, well perhaps he may have to go elsewhere to achieve that but he's always going to encounter fan discontent when things don't look good. I suppose the benefit to him would be the fact that when you get sacked from one of those "top" jobs you are set up for life. Get on the premiership managers carousel and you'll never be short of a bob or two.

Be sorry to lose Tis, but we're a grown up club now and perhaps ready for a grown up manager.

grecIAN Harris

.....is the right answer.
No it's not Pete. Did the clubs owners (The Trust) put in place the clubs youth development programme? No. Did the clubs owners (The Trust) coach and train said youth players through to being offer a contract? No. Did the clubs owners train and pick said developed players for the first team to a level where other clubs are prepared to pay large (certainly in City terms) amount of money? Tis and his coaching staff have single handedly filled in the financial gap that The Trust could only dream of filling. You find me a club in our division that has bought in as much transfer revenue as City has in the last two or three seasons. I almost certain you won't. Who knows where we would have been without the structure that Tis has built? God only knows where we would have been if Tis had gone when Swansea or Southampton came calling. Could you see somebody like Westley or Fatty Evans working along side The Trust in the manner that Tis has? I doubt it very much. So to say it nothing to do with the manager is self righteous Trust nonsense. He's worked with the constraints running a club the size of City brings and built the foundations of the clubs infrastructure to something that none of us have ever seen before.
Sure, like every other fan, I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the money raised go back in to what appears in front of us on a Saturday afternoon but then what chances we might not have seen Grimes, Nichols, Ampadu, Wheeler and Watkins if he hadn't have invested money from Deano, Seabourne, Mackie and Freind. Now we've got player s like JMT, Storey, Pym and Jay and had players like Sercs and Scot Bennett. Some of those will go on to bigger and better things, some will become good, solid servants of the club and some might not make it any further than next season. We've got youth teams who are taking on those who should be streets ahead of us and turning them over in various competitions. We'll be watching some of those kids in the next couple of seasons. It won't be all of them but you bet your bottom dollar that it will be than it was in any pre-Tis era.
So to say that it's more down to the ownership more than it is Tis............ are you really sure about that?

STURTZ

The choice of a new manager is not either Steve Evans or Graham bloody Westley! I would imagine the trust would go for someone already associated with the club that understands the ethos and constraints of the job. Youth development would be part of his remit as would toughing out the bad times.

But that's a discussion for the future perhaps.

manc grecian

Nobody can doubt the influence he's had but **** me he acts as if he's the only person in the world capable of doing it. When he spends his two days at Ted baker do all the employees have contracts that make them unsackable? Because all he is an employee. All the nonsense he talks puts fear that the whole thing would collapse without him. It might and it might not but to use the national media to portray his time in charge as faultless is taking the ****.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm bored of all this woe is me nonsense from him now.
Can we just ask the Trust to ask the board to sack him properly and have done with it?

grecIAN Harris

The choice of a new manager is not either Steve Evans or Graham bloody Westley! I would imagine the trust would go for someone already associated with the club that understands the ethos and constraints of the job. Youth development would be part of his remit as would toughing out the bad times.

But that's a discussion for the future perhaps.
I'm not saying it Sturtz. What I'm asking is could you see somebody of their mentally and ilk working along side The Trust? Not a chance, they would have given up and walked out after a season or so and we wouldn't be any further forward than we would have been when they walked through the door and you wouldn't have had the kids coming through the system in the way we have. We've had through Tis because of his longevity and consequently him being able to build the clubs infrastructure so that it is successful both on the pitch and in the bank balance. Thus Pete Martin's and Brinty's suggestion that it has more to do with the ownership model than Tis is total bawlacks.

Legohead

Banned

The problem I have is that, in this 'interview', he bemoans the lack of ambition (as he perceives it), the lack of money and the constant 'struggle' to balance the books.

What he doesn't talk about however is the frequent failure to provide entertainment that will encourage supporters to keep coming back in numbers and the failure to build on attendances. Our bedrock supporters keep coming back regardless of the form or performances because they are as dedicated to this club as he is. I get frustrated that he doesn't seem to get that. It is all about him.

Our average attendances during the past 12 years have barely altered (apart from a predictable spike when we were in League One). Maybe there would have been an opportunity to get the waverers back and attract new support if we hadn't gone through season after season of abject home form. Quite a few have been lost who may never return. That is one thing the supporters and the Trust cannot be blamed for.
Agree with this.

Also it is still possible to have a crack at playing half decent football with a limited budget and a limited bunch of players and still maintain a more than acceptable league 2 position at the end of a season. Many managers have done so and many clubs have done so. It is a difficult one to balance however i appreciate. The requirement to get results above all else which many football fans appear to see as the be all and end all is something which Tisdale is acutely aware of. The loss of Watkins has highlighted the fact that the football isn't really too good for the most part nowadays.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Accy are pretty much promoted already, what is their manager currently saying ?

We are in a promotion race, is there any need for Tisdale to be going down this road now ?

It's time for him to seek new pastures at the end of the season.

Last edited: