• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time For Reflection

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is why I was amazed Tom didn't start. Morrison was a wasted shirt for this reason.

If you are going to get heavily pressed, you have to resort to the long ball, especially if you don't have the players such as Noble & Harley who are skilled enough to work in tight positions. Tisdale stubbornness didn't see this happen, we were encamped in our own final third coughing the ball up time after time. It he adopted a more pragmatic approach, Morrison might have received more service and relieved the pressure, and Tom might have got a sniff at goal.

Klopp did a good job of motivating his young team, and agreed they played well with tempo and freedom. Tisdale sent out a mixed message with what he what he was trying to achieve and we looked confused from the outset with no leadership from anyone who could react to what was happening. Some are claiming that to go in 1-0 down proved his tactics were not far off, but my eyes tell me a different story. That was the most one-sided half of football I've seen in a long time and we could have easily gone in 5-0.

We were better for the changes in the 2nd half, but understandably tired in the last quarter having chased shadows for most of the evening.
Nicely put. However, I suspect your detractors will be along later.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Macksters a pratt.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Down with Mackster.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Careful now.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Go on go on go on go on.

Colesman Ballz

And Woodman, but of course he's a target so he doesn't appear to get credit for a good performance!
You seem to forget that sublime finish by Ojo, just who was that City player who stood yards back off him, made no attempt to close him down, and then watched the ball whizz past him and into the net ?

After Woodman's recent performances, Luton and Orient spring readily to mind, I actually thought Tis had seen enough when he subbed him off at Brisbane Rd. I could hardly believe it when I saw him back in the starting line-up - my instant thought was "Oh God we are gifting Liverpool a three goal start" !

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
See post 15. Ojo should get the credit for that one.

You seem to forget the magnificent sliding challenge Woodman put in that prevented a clear chance, or the several important headers he won against Benteke, or that one mishap aside when caught in possession (as pretty much every City player had) he was assured on the ball and rarely wasted it.

But he's a target, so he gets no credit for playing well and is slated more than others for every little error.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
See post 15. Ojo should get the credit for that one.

You seem to forget the magnificent sliding challenge Woodman put in that prevented a clear chance, or the several important headers he won against Benteke, or that one mishap aside when caught in possession (as pretty much every City player had) he was assured on the ball and rarely wasted it.

But he's a target, so he gets no credit for playing well and is slated more than others for every little error.
I agree that Woodman did pretty well last night. He had a better game than Ribs, even if it's not particularly cool to admit it round these parts.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Ojo produced a top finish but Woodmans defending was poor - stood off , stood off , stood off - goal.

What are you taught as a kid ? Get tight , don't allow a free shot , body on the line.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that Woodman did pretty well last night. He had a better game than Ribs, even if it's not particularly cool to admit it round these parts.
I thought the whole back five (Olejnik and the defence) played well throughout. It was further up the pitch we had trouble in the first half - Morrison was ridiculously isolated and I think largely blameless, but Ribs and Woodman (particularly Ribs) didn't get the defensive support they needed in the first half, Alex Nicholls often getting sucked in thus leaving their 44 in too much space. Holmes, for all he offers going forward, ain't a defender.

Butterfield was, too, a shadow of the player he was in the demolition job in the first half at Orient.