• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can any train buffs help me? I was wondering that when i go to a lot of stations in Cities around the UK, Especially in London, Liverpool etc where the main ones are they come to a "Dead End" Nowadays they have the modern diesel or electric engines at either ends so they can go back down the route easily, Back in the day when steam was the norm did these stations have turntables to change the direction of the steam locomotive and were these station converted to dead ends when steam loco's were phased out ie you can't go further and if they did have turntables where would they have been located if that makes sense?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can any train buffs help me? I was wondering that when i go to a lot of stations in Cities around the UK, Especially in London, Liverpool etc where the main ones are they come to a "Dead End" Nowadays they have the modern diesel or electric engines at either ends so they can go back down the route easily, Back in the day when steam was the norm did these stations have turntables to change the direction of the steam locomotive and were these station converted to dead ends when steam loco's were phased out ie you can't go further and if they did have turntables where would they have been located if that makes sense?
Locomotives arriving at London termini on express trains would require servicing, and would come off the train and go to a nearby "motive power depot" (or "shed"!) for that purpose. These would have turntables. Examples were Old Oak Common (Paddington) and Nine Elms (Waterloo).

DB9

Locomotives arriving at London termini on express trains would require servicing, and would come off the train and go to a nearby "motive power depot" (or "shed!") for that purpose. These would have turntables. Examples were Old Oak Common (Paddington) and Nine Elms (Waterloo).
Cheers, So a new serviced locomotive for say the return journey? I was just thinking as I travel to Waterloo or leave from King's Cross, Euston, St Pancras etc they all have dead ends and thought how they did it back in the day.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'm always fascinated to see turntables servicing electric trains on mainland Europe.

DB9

I'm always fascinated to see turntables servicing electric trains on mainland Europe.
Must admit the last 18 months travelling around the UK by train I've become more interested in the trains, rolling stock and when I pass stations like say Didcot or Crewe the heritage trains and lines sit right beside the main lines and you get to see some lovely old steam and 1st generation diesel trains, Lovely pulman coaches etc.

DB9

It'll be an interesting week at work this week due to the rail strikes, Apparently my work has a plan when I asked last week but as of yet haven't told anyone what it is, Thing is they seem only to be looking at the SWR lines, Not the other train companies timetables, Also I'm not even sure if they know the time is also going on strike and for us here we have to go through London to get to the stations that service the North/Midlands, In fact anywhere except the SW and Wales.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Plymouth to Tavistock line is being progressed passed the ideas stage.

The Mid Cornwall Metro (Restoring direct services between Newquay, St. Austell, Truro and Falmouth) has progressed further but still a long way off happening.

Some new stations in Somerset will also be progressed, and are the most likely to happen given planning consent. No idea if that would mean more local services running between Bristol and Exeter.

Grecian2K

Locomotives arriving at London termini on express trains would require servicing, and would come off the train and go to a nearby "motive power depot" (or "shed"!) for that purpose. These would have turntables. Examples were Old Oak Common (Paddington) and Nine Elms (Waterloo).
Euston used the shed facilies at Camden or Willesdon while at Kings Cross they used Finsbury Park.
The loco for the outgoing train would back onto the train before taking it out, freeing the incoming loco to reverse back to the depot.

Many branch line termini had "run round loops" where the incoming loco (usually a tank engine) would run to the other end of the train and depart bunker first.

In the days of diesel locos sometimes any such workings on branches might be "top and tailed" with a loco at each end.

Banksy

Can we have a temporary change of thread title?
Time for any train through the south west.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Can we have a temporary change of thread title?
Time for any train through the south west.
There's the 10.17 from St Davids getting into Plymouth at 11.16 if that's any help to you.