• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tillson

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jake doesn't appear to want to stay in front of the back 4, cut out through balls and protect them, which is the job Tillson has done - he wants to follow the play. I was however surprised today that Collins played behind Tillson most of the time, presumably there was some tactical analysis behind this. Collins did this OK but it's not clear this is his best role. After the red card the Tillson role wasn't needed so it was logical to bring on a more attacking / skillful player, but in the event it didn't work.
Agreed. Talked about this when they lined up. If Collins and Tillson had swapped positions, we would have had a more balanced line-up.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
With regards to yesterday, Tillson probably played in front of Collins in order to press and break up the play higher up the pitch, also I'd want Tillson to have the ball as far away from our goal as possible ! For the record I wasn't at the game so don't know how it worked out, all I do know is we seemed to play quite well, it sounded like we played with a good tempo, plenty of energy and aggression etc.

People talk about Taylor playing the holding role, it doesn't suit him, his game is all about energy and getting up and down the pitch, he scored 8 goals last season doing this. He isn't great on the ball either, he's an all action midfielder. Asking him to sit in is a waste of time.

We don't have an all out holding midfielder on our books, Collins has done OK in the role and unless we sign someone during the next month I would persist with him in that role, the big question is what formation we play to get the best out of the likes of Law, Taylor, Holmes, Lee Martin, Ogbene etc. I still don't think we have nailed our favoured set up. Obviously a lot will depend on the Stockley situation.

Last edited:

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
People talk about Taylor playing the holding role, it doesn't suit him, his game is all about energy and getting up and down the pitch, he scored 8 goals last season doing this. He isn't great on the ball either, he's an all action midfielder. Asking him to sit in is a waste of time.

We don't have an all out holding midfielder on our books, Collins has done OK in the role and unless we sign someone during the next month I would persist with him in that role, the big question is what formation we play to get the best out of the likes of Law, Taylor, Holmes, Lee Martin, Ogbene etc. I still don't think we have nailed our favoured set up. Obviously a lot will depend on the Stockley situation.
I used to be quite a big fan of Taylor but this season he's been really disappointing. Contributes very little to games apart from running around a lot and giving the ball away. Collins already looks more accomplished, Lee Martin is starting to impress, and Holmes and Law are guaranteed starters when fit, so it's hard to see who else can make way for Boateng when he returns.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tilson isn’t a footballer. How on earth he still gets a game at this level is beyond me.
Don't be ridiculous. He's not the most skillful player around but has made over 130 appearances for City and has done an unglamorous job for the benefit of the team. He's clearly not been in good form recently, but the same could be said of others who are given an easier time.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
A central midfielder who openly avoids wanting the ball in the most important position in the pitch. Should be playing two levels lower than he is.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If it wasn't for Tisdale Tillson wouldn't be anywhere near the football league.

You cannot fault his attitude or commitment however in terms of ability he shouldn't be anywhere near the football league, there must be loads of players in the Conference or below who are more capable than him.

Stelios

I only suggested it as he appears a bit 'leggy' this season. He can play all over midfield really. He covered loads of ground yesterday but when it counted he often fluffed or miss-hit a shot or pass. He's only just 27 so should be in his peak fitness.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taylor had as bad a game as Tillson yesterday for sure. I love Taylor but he wasn't at his best.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I only suggested it as he appears a bit 'leggy' this season. He can play all over midfield really. He covered loads of ground yesterday but when it counted he often fluffed or miss-hit a shot or pass. He's only just 27 so should be in his peak fitness.
Fair enough, perhaps he needs a break, he could be burnt out. I wasn't there yesterday however I think he's been playing quite well recently, getting forward more and doing more of the things he's good at, he's never going to be a ball playing midfielder, he's a terrier that needs to be allowed to get around the pitch.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taylor had as bad a game as Tillson yesterday for sure. I love Taylor but he wasn't at his best.
It's a funny old game, Tillson and Taylor were both poor according to many yet it seemed to be one of our best performances this season.