• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

this Thursday's Football League emergency meeting

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
The FA and the PL are inextricably linked.
but are they poult? Lets say the PL and the FA fell out big time, enough for the PL to decide to go it alone. How might the world governing body react? Might they decide that any player not operating under FA rules cannot be eligible for any of their tournaments? Might give us more chance of winning a competition too without all that premiership dross!!

Poultice

but are they poult?
Yeah I think so, bottom line they are both a pack of Suits so will go where the money takes them.

Phil Sayers

Lets say the PL and the FA fell out big time,
Roses are red
Violets are blue
The FA love twenty clubs
But fans love ninety two*

*Actually I love the BSP as well but that just doesn't rhyme.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Now that would make an England international side an interesting selection problem. I assume, as the international team is an FA responsibility, it would have to come from the pool of players they have left after the break away. Matty Taylor for England anyone?
The breakway happened when the Prem was formed, this would just be getting a second level of clubs on the gravy train

geoffwp

The breakway happened when the Prem was formed, this would just be getting a second level of clubs on the gravy train
Ah well, just a bit of wishful thinking on my part then. Perhaps one day the entire stinking PL edifice will come crashing down.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Banksy

Roses are red
Violets are blue
The FA love twenty clubs
But fans love ninety two*

*Actually I love the BSP as well but that just doesn't rhyme.

Roses are red
Violets are green
The FA love twenty clubs
But fans one hundred and fifteen

tallone

IF? I remember correctly... there was at one time, a threat by some of the so called elite clubs breaking away to form a European league. Fifa and the FA stepped in and said that any player not playing under their countries governing body would not be eligible to play in any international competition/match. Those clubs in the top leagues around Europe also said they would refuse to play against any team in that European league.. that scuppered that idea, and so the Champions League was formed.
This IMHO is purely about greed, and the money that Sky and other satelite companies around the world are prepared to put into football, with the onus on the EPL.
Add into the equation the fact that the top rate of income tax in this country is (or soon will be)50%. Spains is about half of that, the EPL is running scared of most of the top players going there, and so to level the playing field they are looking for EVEN more money to pay them so they can keep hold of the top players.
IMO, this is the time for the FA to make a stand against the EPL, and tell them that football matters all the way down to grass roots level, and not just to the fat cats at the top table.

Rant over

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
IMO, this is the time for the FA to make a stand against the EPL, and tell them that football matters all the way down to grass roots level, and not just to the fat cats at the top table.
But they won't.

exwick1

EPL blackmail wins the day according to BBC sport