• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Skaro could mean the buildings in Wonford that had to be demolished due to concrete 'cancer' to be replaced with the current build.
Pretty sure there wasn't a Wimpy anywhere near Wonford. :)

Spoonz Red E

Only in the dictionary.

Grecian2K

The one at Willand was much nearer.
And as the one at Wimborne - don't even go there!
(I mean , seriously, DON'T EVEN GO THERE)

Oldsmobile-88

Chip Pan fires...They were very common at one time.
I remember one in our house when I was a kid, my mum managed to put it out, with a damp tea towel
but not before a load of smoke & heat damage to ceiling.
The deadly polystyrene tiles were affixed all over to cover the damaged ceiling. They are not seen anymore either.

Bridgy 81

Chip Pan fires...They were very common at one time.
I remember one in our house when I was a kid, my mum managed to put it out, with a damp tea towel
but not before a load of smoke & heat damage to ceiling.
The deadly polystyrene tiles were affixed all over to cover the damaged ceiling. They are not seen anymore either.
When we bought our house in 1991 (which we’re still living in) there were polystyrene tiles in numerous rooms.
It was mentioned in the survey that they should be replaced, which we did after quite a few years!

Oldsmobile-88

When we bought our house in 1991 (which we’re still living in) there were polystyrene tiles in numerous rooms.
It was mentioned in the survey that they should be replaced, which we did after quite a few years!
I remember when we moved when I was 16, the house had the tiles in every room which had to be removed because they were deemed a fire hazard in my mums B&B business which had to be covered by a Fire Certificate.
I skinned my knuckles a few times getting the things off. They were usually affixed with 5 blobs of Bostick...Horrible job that was delegated to me by my dad.

Bridgy 81

I remember when we moved when I was 16, the house had the tiles in every room which had to be removed because they were deemed a fire hazard in my mums B&B business which had to be covered by a Fire Certificate.
I skinned my knuckles a few times getting the things off. They were usually affixed with 5 blobs of Bostick...Horrible job that was delegated to me by my dad.
Luckily we didn’t buy a B&B 🙂

iscalad

Had a flood when a pipe in the bathroom burst and the water came down through to the kitchen. Had to have the kitchen dried out and re-plastered. Asbestos was found in the ceiling. He'll of a job to get it removed. The company that did Had full hazard suits. Luckily cost was covered by insurance.

Oldsmobile-88

Had a flood when a pipe in the bathroom burst and the water came down through to the kitchen. Had to have the kitchen dried out and re-plastered. Asbestos was found in the ceiling. He'll of a job to get it removed. The company that did Had full hazard suits. Luckily cost was covered by insurance.
Asbestos sheets for ceilings was very common in houses, especially if built after WW2. It took a long time to get wise to the issues with the stuff. It’s ok as long as it’s not disturbed, i e drilled.

Asbestos flues(chimneys) off of gas water heaters & boilers in kitchens were removed with no precautions at all until the early 1990s, save a dust sheet on the floor. Goodness knows what that would cost these days to remove. It was just loaded in the back of the van & put into a skip at the depot.

Ascot NEA 32/6 or 709

35ABDD18-88DE-4B7F-AC17-F749AC0EA95D.jpeg

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Asbestos sheets for ceilings was very common in houses, especially if built after WW2. It took a long time to get wise to the issues with the stuff. It’s ok as long as it’s not disturbed, i e drilled.

Asbestos flues(chimneys) off of gas water heaters & boilers in kitchens were removed with no precautions at all until the early 1990s, save a dust sheet on the floor. Goodness knows what that would cost these days to remove. It was just loaded in the back of the van & put into a skip at the depot.

Ascot NEA 32/6 or 709

View attachment 14972
Is that West Brom's mascot? Looks like him.