• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
2 bar electric fire, perfect for sticking a piece of newspaper in to light yer fag.

View attachment 3932
And toasting the bread for us non smokers

Oldsmobile-88

Holding a sheet of newspaper across the front of a fireplace to get the fire to ‘draw’ which usually ended up on fire & hastily let go into the fireplace.🔥

I used to be really worried watching my dad or gran do that when I was a young child😁😁

It would be butt clenching these days.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Hole in the Wall at Waterloo. Based in a viaduct near Waterloo station with trains running overhead going in and out of Charing Cross. Plenty of late night sessions in there on the way back from meetings or football.

STURTZ

The Hole in the Wall at Waterloo. Based in a viaduct near Waterloo station with trains running overhead going in and out of Charing Cross. Plenty of late night sessions in there on the way back from meetings or football.
Often used to frequent said pub, saw ECFC London branch written on toi;et wall and eventually ran into them, a group of rail workers that had adopted City as their club. Think they chose us because we were the furthest they could go on their free rail travel allowances, good bunch of lads.

Once saw Lemmy in there, he spent all night feeding a one arm bandit.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Those little cartoon cinemas. I used to love going to them when on a visit to London. Some of them were at railway stations.

angelic upstart

People, other than on the school run.

GJW

Sticklebricks.

IBA

'Flicking the Vs' - was watching a YouTube video of Sid Vicious walking down the street in full on anti hero/ enfant terrible mode. Hair spiked, safety pins, black leathers and swatista T-shirt. Anyway the scene culimiates in Sid Flicking the Vs at 2 old boys in a pub, who are suitably outraged.
This brought home to me that I cannot recall the last time I saw anyone flick the Vs, it all seems so quaint and almost comical and as in so many other ways been has been replaced by its brasher, crude and unsubtle American equivalent, the Middle finger...

Oldsmobile-88

'Flicking the Vs' - was watching a YouTube video of Sid Vicious walking down the street in full on anti hero/ enfant terrible mode. Hair spiked, safety pins, black leathers and swatista T-shirt. Anyway the scene culimiates in Sid Flicking the Vs at 2 old boys in a pub, who are suitably outraged.
No doubt Sid said to them “Whatcha looking at you cnut”

Harvey Smith the showjumper was one for flicking up the “V”

On the subject of tee shirts...You do not see them with controversial(for these days) material.

Anyone remember the Adolf Hitler World Tour one from the early 1980s ? Or the Killing Joke Tee shirt that featured the Pope during WW2 walking through a lot Stormtroopers doing the high armed salute.

Spoonz Red E

This brought home to me that I cannot recall the last time I saw anyone flick the Vs, it all seems so quaint and almost comical and as in so many other ways been has been replaced by its brasher, crude and unsubtle American equivalent, the Middle finger...
Good shout.

I just get an image of Rik Mayall's character constantly flicking Vs in the Young Ones now.
Maybe he killed it off?