• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Trust

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not blaming anyone, I'm trying to establish the facts. Mr Martin was on the bos so why would he not be a suitable director, in the way that tagg is a suitable CEO for sake of the questioning.
He left the Bos due to heath matter as reported at the time before he went for the job on the board

Why has the opportunity gone? Surely as a fans owned club we should have as many fans at the top table as possible. Regardless of credentials.
would you like to read what you wrote again and come back to me?

Isnt Taggy, Conway, Foresyth, Overend exactly that!!!!!!???

Last edited:

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
When Chorlton outlined his strategy for the development of the Club Board it was clear that he wanted to line up directorships with certain professions. The BOS voiced their opinion that this should not occur immediately but agreed that that the position could be phased out over(from memory) a two year period. So, the position would have been lost even if Pete had got the job.

As with many 'agreements' between the Club Board and the BOS, this was another that was tossed aside.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
He left the Bos due to heath matter as reported at the time before he went for the job on the board

would you like to read what you wrote again and come back to me?

Isnt Taggy, Conway, Foresyth, Overend exactly that!!!!!!???
I ain't saying they ain't. But in the main, they're hand picked, which isn't the way I would like it.

angelic upstart

When Chorlton outlined his strategy for the development of the Club Board it was clear that he wanted to line up directorships with certain professions. The BOS voiced their opinion that this should not occur immediately but agreed that that the position could be phased out over(from memory) a two year period. So, the position would have been lost even if Pete had got the job.

As with many 'agreements' between the Club Board and the BOS, this was another that was tossed aside.
Thanks for the clarification.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I ain't saying they ain't. But in the main, they're hand picked, which isn't the way I would like it.
Thats what happens in a democracy though.. the fans vote the bos in, they select who does what!! is it really that simple. Besides I would rather they picked the right people than any old bloke to run our club..

angelic upstart

Thats what happens in a democracy though.. the fans vote the bos in, they select who does what!! is it really that simple. Besides I would rather they picked the right people than any old bloke to run our club..
I appreciate that entirely and thank websites like this so I can vent my poor, pathetic little gripes.

Out of interest how many of the current board were voted on there by the bos?

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate that entirely and thank websites like this so I can vent my poor, pathetic little gripes.

Out of interest how many of the current board were voted on there by the bos?
they all have to be ratified by the bos. this year it was eddie and forsythe with overend as trust representative

mdg

Interested in all your comments - any idea how many of the board are members of the trust?

I would hope that all of them were

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Interested in all your comments - any idea how many of the board are members of the trust?

I would hope that all of them were
What can I say without being,.... er, ..... I'll shut up.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Another bit of helpful mis-information from the main man!!

For the record, I didn't resign for that reason. I resigned because I felt that the way the BoS operated was not for me any more. Pure and simple.

I DID resign from the BoS for health reasons during the 3rd year of my first spell back in 2007, although I don't recall your involvement back then so I'm surprised if it's that period you are referring to?

As regards the circumstances of the removal of the Supporters Club Director, you might be interested in the following (or not, as the case may be);

From the Supporters Club rules (Clause 16);

"With effect from the AGM of 2005, and thereafter every two(2) years, the supporters club will invite nominations for the position of supporters club director. Nominations should be sent to the supporters club secretary not less than fourteen(14) days prior to the Annual General Meeting. All nominations will be discussed and nominees interviewed by a supporters club committee consisting of no less than four(4) supporters club committee members (excluding any committee member who has been nominated) and one Football Club director. Once the preferred candidate has been chosen their name will be forwarded to the Board of Directors of Exeter City AFC Ltd for approval. Once approval has been received the elected person will serve for a period of two(2) years until the relevant AGM."

From the minutes of the Supporters Club meeting of 7th April 2011;

Supporters Club Director

RHK informed the committee that he would be resigning as Supporters Club Director, as his term is now coming to an end anyway and it would be time to elect a new SC Director. However, following discussions with Roger Conway, secretary to the Board, the board feel now it is not probably necessary for a full board position, but instead to invite a representative to sit on the Joint Boards meeting and to attend Board of Society meetings. RHK was asked to put this forward to committee. It is understood the new Chairman is restructuring the Board and this is part of the restructuring process.

Although things have progressed with the club since the position was offered, committee members were unhappy with the way this has been proposed without offering full discussion and reasoning behind the decision.

And, finally, the following is the view of a long-time and well respected City supporter, Supporters Club member and Trustee whom I will not name as this view was given in confidence early in 2012;

The position of a Club Board Director representing the Supporters' Club was part of the original concept of Supporter Representation within our football club and was fundamental to the principle of Supporter Ownership. Further, it was an undertaking given by the Trust to the Supporters' Club in exchange for their support through the whole process.

The whole point of Supporter Representation on the club board is so that they can be party to the central discussion and decision-making process at the very top of the club, contributing from a supporters' perspective. To take this away would be moving back towards supporters' exclusion. Any discussion or proposal to change this position should surely have gone to the Trust Board of Society first as it would be their undertaking that was being interfered with.

Further, it is the Supporters’ Trust, as the majority shareholder, and not the Club Board, who are supposed to be the body that are ultimately responsible for the composition of the Club Board. Of course, we would consider, and have considered in the past, any proposals to alter the structure, but to take forward a proposal to alter it without any consultation or reference to the Trust is simply wrong.

Last edited: