• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Tisdale Thread

DanceMagnet

I know, I just know, this one is going to be contentious. I just can't help it, I've sat back and not dared to say a thing in the face of all the love for the man. He has achieved great things for our club over the last few years, no doubt, but surely, surely that doesn't mean that he can't also get things wrong sometimes. I'm a great believer in all that he's achieved, but it seems that only a few are prepared to stand up and risk criticising the Grrrrr-eat Tisser.

I just feel really let down so far this season with the negative tactics that seem to be the norm, especially at home. It really is quite predictable - I'll play for the draw for a while and then bring on my two sub strikers to see if we can nick a win at the end. I guess it's no different from what we've been trying to do over the last couple of seasons, but it's just not working this year. Let's face it, our solitary win has been rather fortunate to say the least. Today, against the MK Dons, we have been awful for the first period. TBH, we were lucky to only be two down at half time. Second half, so much better - we showed we can actually compete. Why not try that from the start?

20 goal a season striker? I think we've probably already got one. Why are we not giving our strikers a chance and playing them as a pair?

Why don't we have any width in the squad?

Ooh, scary, I've asked some difficult questions.

Flack me!

DM

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Tis logic on this is usually that if you play your most attacking options from the start then you've nothing in reserve. He does seem to be very conservative at present, and it's almost as if the fans are beginning to expect not to have much to shout about first half, which can't be a good thing. On the other hand we were pretty aggressive against Yeovil early doors.

The only thing I would criticise today is bunging Matt Taylor up front second half. Can't see that working much in this league.

DanceMagnet

Taylor up front today was a bizarre decision, I agree. Against Yeovil, we looked as though we believed for while and then stopped believing when we should really have killed them off without any problem.

For a supposed "thinking man", who 's learnt loads on his recent bout of coaching courses, Tis seems remarkably bereft of any other ideas

DM

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
The only thing I would criticise today is bunging Matt Taylor up front second half. Can't see that working much in this league.
I agree with that, I thought we were really on top, and really forcing them back, and could easily see the second goal coming, but the change of putting MT up top broke up our pressure, and sadly, despite it doing so on previous occasions, this time it didn't work. That said, in the second half, MKD never really got out their half, and we, bar and large, kept them pretty much under the kosh, but taking Corr out of the mix and replacing him with MT broke our pattern of play as well, which reduced our effectiveness. (IMHO) I wasn't quite sure the reasoning behind this, and still aren't, unless Corr was injured ?

That said, after the shocking start we gave MKD, and given how bad we performed first half, I thought in the second half we gave a much better account of ourselves.

We have no width though, and this does worry me. We have many options in the squad, but width isn't one of them.

That said, I'm still happy to trust the gaffer, he hasn't let us down yet, and I have no doubt he's more than aware of our deficiencies. There is no need to start panicking, and calling for any drastic changes just yet. (IMHO)

We're only a few games in, and we traditionally start poorly. Patience is required.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
DM, I don't think you're asking difficult questions or treading on hallowed toes. Then again, I don't have the answers, hallowed or otherwise.
Whilst PT has done wonders for our club - I think that can be seen as general consensus - it doesn't mean you can't question or debate. I'd rather you did.
I disagree with your opinion that we've had a poor start. I agree its been a little inconsistent, but I do think we're holding our own.
We have learnt that PT takes his time in assessing each league he - perhaps surprisingly - finds himself in. And each year brings a new challenge. But he does read it, learn it, then applies it. Will that work this year? Time will tell.
We've had some misfortunes to start the league off with. Red cards and injuries. I think we're yet to get going with a 100% squad. Maybe we'll see some differences when we do. And we do know he plays to his strengths.
I'd like to see your questions after another half dozen games or so. Question the guy by all means but it's early days yet...

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst PT has done wonders for our club - I think that can be seen as general consensus - it doesn't mean you can't question or debate. I'd rather you did.
And I agree with Rae. Of course, individual decisions made by Tis can and should be subject to debate and criticism or indeed praise.

The point is that we should be saying something like: "Tis messed up when he did X, we should have done Y and I hope we do that in future" as opposed to "WTF was Tisdale thinking when he did X. The bloke has lost the plot. Bye bye Mr Tisdale. Resign Ingoweforpe. Soditout Fox, etc etc."

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
Three bigish games coming up now. I know it is early in the season but given form and early league position we should be looking to get some points on the board in these games.

Now would be a great time to get some confidence back into the team so they know they can compete at this level.

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tis is without doubt one of the best managers we have had.
Some decisions may seem bizarre and sometimes when we have thought 'what is he doing?' it has worked out OK

This season he has been too defensive and needs to consider a more attacking line up. When we attack we look so much better

Yesterday's decision to take off Corr was strange. It totally changed the way we were playing. I think we would have scored at least one more if he had left it alone.

I much prefer it when we have some height up front and go for goal than sit back and try to soak up pressure.

I will be happy if we finish mid table

i_m

Mike Blackstone

Taylor up front today was a bizarre decision, I agree. DM
A throw back to the days when we used to play Mike Balson at centre-forward.

RHINO

A throw back to the days when we used to play Mike Balson at centre-forward.
And when a Certain Lee Roberts played up front and scored a few if memory serves