• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Sorry Horse And Head Dray

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Talking of that building across the road from the Kings Arms, I remember when it was part of St Thomas's Station, and that for many years later it was occupied by Matthews Electrical. It was later a pub of some kind I recall, but is it closed down now?

Reggie T42

Cannot Be Serious Cottage, Backside of Beyond, Dev
It was the Prince Albert???...until the late 1980's....& of course The Merry Monk was a staging point off Fore St
The Prince Albert was next to the church in Cowick Street on the right heading towards the Exe Bridges. Me and the missus had our wedding reception in their function room out the back in 1974. Horse and Dray sold Douchars...normally a good Scottish pint...but they crucified it!

Rog H K

Talking of that building across the road from the Kings Arms, I remember when it was part of St Thomas's Station, and that for many years later it was occupied by Matthews Electrical. It was later a pub of some kind I recall, but is it closed down now?
They called it Platform 1, it was more of a night club I think? The whole building is now a Chinese buffet eating house.

Oldsmobile-88

They called it Platform 1, it was more of a night club I think? The whole building is now a Chinese buffet eating house.
I seem to recall the club upstairs was Platform 1 & the bar area on the ground floor was The Station..It all got a little confusing.with the place being open & shut over the 1990's a few times.....

Another bar off Cowick St was the RAOB Club in Buller Rd just before Whipple's factory..which shut for a few years,but has now reopened as The Winchester Club..

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I seem to recall the club upstairs was Platform 1 & the bar area on the ground floor was The Station..It all got a little confusing.with the place being open & shut over the 1990's a few times.....

Another bar off Cowick St was the RAOB Club in Buller Rd just before Whipple's factory..which shut for a few years,but has now reopened as The Winchester Club..
The Winchester Club? Wasn't that Arthur Daley's local?! ;-)

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
We walked past the Sorry Head today exiting from SJP. It was notable for being completely EMPTY!! Looked like 'sorry' was an apt name............

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pete.. when I was a kid my mates and I used to do the occasional pub crawl, starting at the Green Gables,
The Green Gables probably hasn't even had a lick of paint since you were drinking in there. Never been in there but it certainly doesn't seem enticing from the street.

IndoMike

The Green Gables probably hasn't even had a lick of paint since you were drinking in there. Never been in there but it certainly doesn't seem enticing from the street.
That wouldn't surprise me . ....about the paint
As I said before, my mates and I used to start an occasional pub crawl in there. It was a spit and sawdust pub...
Contrary to what you might expect, we never experienced any trouble there at all.... Appearances are not always what they seem.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is a good bit of info on historical pubs in Exeter on this site:

http://www.exeterbeerglass.com/

IndoMike

There is a good bit of info on historical pubs in Exeter on this site:

http://www.exeterbeerglass.com/
Thanks for that, Strongbow..