• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Mid Devon Grecian

From the BBC Sport Website:

The Trust added they would need to raise at least £150,000 over the next few weeks "to stabilise and reset the club".

Good luck, I remember our Red or Dead scheme to raise enough money to help with the CVA, We were no where near and it was only the Man U game that we got lucky with. This time of year there are no lucky cup draws etc, There is something about asking supporters for £100, Tough times asking for that kind of money.
Hopefully there will some minted supporters who will stick in much more than £100 making up for those who have more modest means.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Was the target for Red or Dead £750k though? Or am I misremembering? I thought £100k or more was raised?
No iirc it was around half that figure.

DB9

Was the target for Red or Dead £750k though? Or am I misremembering? I thought £100k or more was raised?
We still didn't raise what ever the amount was by ourselves and we had longer to raise it too, The report says that the TUST have weeks to raise £150k

Boyo

From the BBC Sport Website:

The Trust added they would need to raise at least £150,000 over the next few weeks "to stabilise and reset the club".

Good luck, I remember our Red or Dead scheme to raise enough money to help with the CVA, We were no where near and it was only the Man U game that we got lucky with. This time of year there are no lucky cup draws etc, There is something about asking supporters for £100, Tough times asking for that kind of money.
Our Trust took over the Club in the summer 2003. The Man Utd fixture was Jan 2005.

DB9

Our Trust took over the Club in the summer 2003. The Man Utd fixture was Jan 2005.
That is what i've said, TUST according to the BBC report have "Weeks" to raise £150k, The amount we needed was much higher, We had longer but we didn't raise nowhere near enough before the Man U game. Torquay like us are a small club with a small fanbase, To try and raise serious amounts by hook or crook in such a small time frame is a virtually impossible job. I can't remember what the CVA deadline was but IIRC it wasn't imposed in the summer of 2003 right after our Trust took control, It may have been later in the year or early 2004 once things were sorted? but can't honestly remember.

Spoonz Red E

Red or Dead was launched in 2004 - aim £750,000.
£140,000 raised by the time the Man Utd game came around.
Also need to factor in that the windfall from the Man Utd game killed the 'urgency' and that Red or Dead was still ongoing at that point.

But, yes, a huge task for Torquay to raise those funds.
As they are going for a shared ownership it may be that make up for any shortfall comes from the co-owner.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Red or Dead was launched in 2004 - aim £750,000.
£140,000 raised by the time the Man Utd game came around.
Also need to factor in that the windfall from the Man Utd game killed the 'urgency' and that Red or Dead was still ongoing at that point.

But, yes, a huge task for Torquay to raise those funds.
As they are going for a shared ownership it may be that make up for any shortfall comes from the co-owner.
Didn't we have two seperate fundraisers? One immediate one with businesses donating £1000 before Red or Dead where supporters gave £500?

David Treharne

Didn't we have two seperate fundraisers? One immediate one with businesses donating £1000 before Red or Dead where supporters gave £500?
It was 'The Last Grandstand' and those who contributed were given three options, a gift, repayment after 5 years with no interest or a seson ticket deal that could be negotiated. In the end the number of people who opted for 2 and 3 was very small, but we made good on the promise to repay those who wanted it. The majority donated/loaned £1000, but there were several other different amounts form £500 upwards. I still have several of the letters from those who were repaid stressing what a difference the promises we made as a Trust differed from those of the previous regime.

David Treharne

I should have aded that it raised £24,000 and you can read about it on page 67 of "Twenty years of Trust control at Exeter City".

DB9

I should have aded that it raised £24,000 and you can read about it on page 67 of "Twenty years of Trust control at Exeter City".
Out of interest, How long did it take to raise that £24k?