• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

lamrobhero

The best suggestion that I have heard is for Tucker Carlson to be speaker.

'Sleepy Joe' and Nancy Pelosi show what real politics is about - dialogue, engagement, compromise (As did the EU with their late night negotiations).

Modern right wing politics is about dictatorship in the interests of the few. The Republican Party troubles are a sign of this.

Reactions: ORy

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sleepy Joe' and Nancy Pelosi show what real politics is about
Oh man, I needed a good laugh this morning. Thanks mate.

lamrobhero

Don't worry AOC is holding out an olive branch to those Republicans that don't want a dictatorship.

AOC: Up to McCarthy whether he wants to approach Democrats to save his speakership MSNBC

Alistair20000

Oh man, I needed a good laugh this morning. Thanks mate.
I laughed reasonably hard too.

Phil Sayers

McCarthy about to lose again and probably even more heavily. If he cannot get the awkward squad / far right extremists on side he could perhaps instead try to do a deal with the Democrats such as offering them more committee spots than a minority party would normally have. Even making noises about such a possibility could really focus the minds of those who have it in for him. His real problem is that he tried to tread a narrow, treacherous path between moderate Republicans and Trumpesque juvenile fanatics with the predictable result of alienating both.

Rosencrantz

McCarthy about to lose again and probably even more heavily. If he cannot get the awkward squad / far right extremists on side he could perhaps instead try to do a deal with the Democrats such as offering them more committee spots than a minority party would normally have. Even making noises about such a possibility could really focus the minds of those who have it in for him. His real problem is that he tried to tread a narrow, treacherous path between moderate Republicans and Trumpesque juvenile fanatics with the predictable result of alienating both.
Either way, isn't he a busted flush?

Phil Sayers

Either way, isn't he a busted flush?
Maybe but he has no serious rival that I am aware of. Either he will have to persuade the party to back another candidate endorsed by him or they will have to keep voting until he somehow gets in. If that happens in the next day or so then this may quickly be forgotten but the longer it goes on the more long-lasting damage it will do to both his party and himself.

lamrobhero

The perspective that I have heard is that from that start the Republicans never stood up to the "PG Tips Party" and its a bit late to start trying now. And the Republicans used to talk sanctimoniously about principles. Ha Ha.

Where is the opposition to the right wing nutters in the UK? Nowhere to be seen. Serf mentality strikes again.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe but he has no serious rival that I am aware of. Either he will have to persuade the party to back another candidate endorsed by him or they will have to keep voting until he somehow gets in. If that happens in the next day or so then this may quickly be forgotten but the longer it goes on the more long-lasting damage it will do to both his party and himself.
Whisper it quietly, but he could attempt to do a deal with the Democrats...

Phil Sayers

Whisper it quietly, but he could attempt to do a deal with the Democrats...
That would make a lot of sense IMO. Both because there is a deal that could be done (e.g offering more committee places) and because even making noises about such a deal might force the recalcitrants into line.