• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Burton Albion Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes but it’s easy to be brave against 10 men as you know you’ve got a man over to bail you out if it goes wrong. I agree with you, but we shouldn’t get too carried away after one excellent goal against a poor team.
But we did the same yesterday when we had ten men (in general terms not the goal for which we obviously had 11on at the time). All four this week have been similar in style and build up. Sometimes things just click, maybe (and I'm not definitely) we've had our click this week.

Rosencrantz

Yes but it’s easy to be brave against 10 men as you know you’ve got a man over to bail you out if it goes wrong. I agree with you, but we shouldn’t get too carried away after one excellent goal against a poor team.
One thing that was encouraging is that we were still brave with the ball yesterday with only 10 men ourselves. We were also braver on and off the ball in the second half against Bolton. There is no doubt that we need to do this more than just in spells of games though. What we have generally shown since the really bad spell is that we are better set up defensively and off the ball. The defenders are all mostly doing well to the point where there is genuine competition for places. That gives us a base to build from going forward.

The big challenge going into next season will be getting that attacking play much more consistent and adding options in the final third. It is an ambitious way of playing and needs total commitment from the players to buy in. Not least, as we can see ourselves and elsewhere, that if it doesn't get played with conviction or success the supporters can very quickly get more than a bit restless.

Getting this in place and a squad capable and committed nearly always takes time. You always used to hear people in football, and not just managers, say that it can take three seasons to build a squad. That is much more difficult now with how quickly managers get the boot if they go through a bad spell. British football used to be more known in general as being more patient but we have seen it go more the way of Italy where hiring and firing was more a way of life over there.

It is also more of a challenge for us in retaining players. In the four seasons Matt was in charge the promotion team looked very different to the team that just missed out on the play offs on the last day at FGR in his first season. But the build throughout his period and commitment to the style he wanted us never changed and carried over some continuity each time. We finally got what he wanted.

This has been a very challenging season for everyone, no one can deny that. It is imperative though that the steps forward continue and become more strident. That will be a big challenge as well.

Exehausted

But we did the same yesterday when we had ten men (in general terms not the goal for which we obviously had 11on at the time). All four this week have been similar in style and build up. Sometimes things just click, maybe (and I'm not definitely) we've had our click this week.
I think you're right, we do seem to have clicked and not just in the goals that we scored but also the chances that we have created. Gary's patience with Ilmari is really paying off as he's gone from being a fast attacking player with little end product to a chances creator that is now starting to frighten teams. Vinnie Harper is also doing this and it's such a shame that his injury will probably keep him out for the rest of the season. The success of the players from non league (I'm not counting Milli yet but I'm sure he'll do well next season) is the way that we can build a decent, competitive squad within our budget. I also think that football is changing away from having a big strong "hold the ball up" type centre forward to the type of smaller faster players who arrive late into the box. Goals scored from headers into the box from open play seem to be disappearing (although that's how Bolton's equaliser was scored last week) and I think the failure of Scott, Muskwe and Eisa is as much a reflection of this change as a lack of ability. The bravery in passing the ball forward is as much to do with confidence. We have gone from a pre Christmas team that barely created a decent chance in a match to a team that is now making four or five decent chances and scoring a couple of them. Long may our recruitment continue to unearth these players and build a decent squad at a price that we can afford.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360

fred binneys head

Love the 360s but where was the camera in the tunnel? Sort it out Palfreythorpedale.

grecIAN Harris

Well I think makes me two wins from two for starting match day threads this season. I know the Pizza Pot against Swindon doesn't count for much but a victory when we couldn't buy a win.........

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
A really good win for us on Saturday. First half for me was an even affair, Burton imho had the better chances and made Vil work harder than we worked the Burton Keeper, but we actually looked a threat going forward consistently in the first half and scored a really good goal on half time. Vil for me is our player of the season by some distance and hopefully we get the honour. Comfortably our best player and most consistent performer (Without him we would probably be significantly worse off).

Whilst I haven't read the thread or a lot of other literature about Saturday's game, so don't know the full circumstances around Jules red card, i was so disappointed when they announced the sending off and really thought that would have put paid to any chance of coming away with three points.

Unfortunately I missed a chunk of the 2nd half due to some family issues which I had to deal with, I was delighted when I came back out still at 0-0 and delighted with how we managed the parts of the 2nd half i saw. Great 3 points. Onto the next. UP THE CITY!

Colesman Ballz

Unfortunately I missed a chunk of the 2nd half due to some family issues which I had to deal with, I was delighted when I came back out still at 0-0 and delighted with how we managed the parts of the 2nd half i saw. Great 3 points. Onto the next. UP THE CITY!
Personally I was delighted when we came back out for the second half still leading 1-0 ! :cool:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Personally I was delighted when we came back out for the second half still leading 1-0 ! :cool:
That wasn't a reference to the Half time, but I had family issues which took about 20 mins of the second half which I didn't see and yes I have written 0-0 instead of 1-0 :LOL:

Trampus

Family issues eh? The mind boggles!