• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The next five weeks: the test of our squad

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some people are saying, and I happen to agree, that our squad this season is deeper than ever. Because of the late start this term, we are facing a League Two midweek game hot on the heels of a Saturday game for four weeks out of the next five. Luckily there aren't too many really tough ones in that sequence and we're starting off with a couple of home games this week. Will we benefit from having strength in depth and a potential to rotate? Hopefully staying injury free we could get some results now against squads less able to cope than us, and move up the table. I suppose if we can win the games this week we can be bold enough to hope that.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Biggest concern to me is central defence. I'd be happier if we still had Aaron Martin in the squad (is he still unemployed and a free agent?), or if Dyer hadn't gone on loan to Chippenham along with Smerdon. But lets hope people are right and we do have sufficient strength in depth / don't get bad injuries to Dean and Sweeney to add to McArdle's lengthy one.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think the depth is the best i've seen in my time in supporting City, not necessarily quality throughout, but certainly enough to do well in this division. My concern is the lack of goals from strikers. I have sympathy with the view that is does not matter as long as goals are being scored by others but it would be a hell of a lot easier if the strikers pitched in with a decent load. Matt has tried a few combinations along with Bowman as a mainstay but it hasn't quite worked out so far. Time to give Ajose a chance ?. Bowman certainly got his share last season and maybe with Ajose it could happen again. I'm not convinced with Fisher and have not seen enough of Seymour to form an opinion.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm a little wary of all this talk about our strength of depth as it relies on our untried youngsters being as good as we hope they are; the evidence from the EFL Trophy is promising but it's still a bit different playing in the league.

Rosencrantz

I'm a little wary of all this talk about our strength of depth as it relies on our untried youngsters being as good as we hope they are; the evidence from the EFL Trophy is promising but it's still a bit different playing in the league.
I the transition to first team games made by Randall and Key will give people more confidence in the youngsters. The others were showing similar levels in the u23's and FLT.

STURTZ

I agree about this, our squad is no bigger or better than in previous years it's just that fewer youngsters have gone out on loan. Hope that those youngsters can prove them selves ready for league 2 but fingers crossed!

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
We may be seeing a return to the bench for young Jack Arthur too, as I hear Maxted has suffered a nasty injury in training. Fingers crossed his injury is not as bad as first feared.

Maxi08

We may be seeing a return to the bench for young Jack Arthur too, as I hear Maxted has suffered a nasty injury in training. Fingers crossed his injury is not as bad as first feared.
Or 15 yr old Harry Lee 😉