• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Mirror's Oliver Holt on Stanno

edindevon

Were there many people there?
Not many people around SJP, however High Street and the Cathedral Green were busy and Adam got a good send off. The weather really is dreadful out there, but there were several hundred people stood in the heavy rain outside the Cathedral listening to the service through speakers. There was a very poignant silence when the hearse arrived at the cathedral, which was only broken by a spontaneous round of applause for Adam as his white coffin was taken inside for the service. I wish I could have stayed longer, but had to go after that. An emotional day for everyone.

davecg

Desptie the dreadfull rain a fitting send off for Stanno. The High Street was lined with people all giving applause as the cortege moved along. At the Cathedral I had to stand outside along with several hundred others as the service proceeded. The choice of music and words spoken were beautifull and the Cathedral has done everyone proud in their hosting of this. Paul Tisdale spoke warmly and emotionally about Adam the footballer and Adam the team mate. Paul,Steve Tully, Marcus Stewart, Rob Edwards, Julian Tagg and Dean Moxey were in one of the cortege cars representing Exeter City Football Club. An honourable occassion that underlines just how much Adam Stansfield meant to the city of Exeter.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Desptie the dreadfull rain a fitting send off for Stanno. The High Street was lined with people all giving applause as the cortege moved along. At the Cathedral I had to stand outside along with several hundred others as the service proceeded. The choice of music and words spoken were beautifull and the Cathedral has done everyone proud in their hosting of this. Paul Tisdale spoke warmly and emotionally about Adam the footballer and Adam the team mate. Paul,Steve Tully, Marcus Stewart, Rob Edwards, Julian Tagg and Dean Moxey were in one of the cortege cars representing Exeter City Football Club. An honourable occassion that underlines just how much Adam Stansfield meant to the city of Exeter.
Sounds like a fitting ceremony. Wish I could have had the afternoon off work to attend.

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great article and was reading it in Birmingham whilst guy across from me , a Birmingham supporter ,was complaining to his friend about McLeish not signing new players and why this guy had to go, and another was useless etc. Put it all in perspective , not that it really needed to be. As I wrote in program , last season an overpaid Premiership prima donna ran the length of a field to start a near riot against and old club. A couple of months later Adam Stansfield notched against his former one and jogged quietly back to the centre circle.
You can't buy class. Stanno had it in spades .

budegrecian

Very well put Brian, you should try this writing lark sometime...........

A well written & very moving article by Oliver Holt.

Cravat

Such a shame about the weather.

philexe

I never read the mirror but this article is spot on!

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Brilliant piece of writing....

Sums it all up perfect.

greenawayr

An emotional article here.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/its-a-father-and-son-thing/

Different slant on a different story, but still relevant I feel.

Particularly as a chap who was introduced to Exeter City by his Dad.