• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The harsh reality (2)....

GrecianInWales

Matthew Benham from Smartodds is the Brentford benefactor. It's an interesting model there. Still technically supporter owned (and the Trust is pretty active and intertwined), but Benham is putting in £1m a year over five years after which it gets a bit complicated. They're currently coming up to the 3rd installment.

Out of interest, where did you get that loss figure from Hants? Would be interested to read more.

Rog H K

Matthew Benham from Smartodds is the Brentford benefactor. It's an interesting model there. Still technically supporter owned (and the Trust is pretty active and intertwined), but Benham is putting in £1m a year over five years after which it gets a bit complicated. They're currently coming up to the 3rd installment.

Out of interest, where did you get that loss figure from Hants? Would be interested to read more.
2 years to go then. That will go quick.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Link here. I've not downloaded the accounts. The summary doesn't really explain. Its equivalent to giving each of their home supporters a £1000 each.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Link here. I've not downloaded the accounts. The summary doesn't really explain. Its equivalent to giving each of their home supporters a £1000 each.
The figure doesn't really mean anything, you would need to look at the underlying reasons for the loss which would involve grinding through their P&Ls and Balance Sheets for the last two years, I would't mind going through ours if they ever became available but I don't have that level of interest in Brentford, except of course when we are there and the Griffin beckons.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The figure doesn't really mean anything, you would need to look at the underlying reasons for the loss which would involve grinding through their P&Ls and Balance Sheets for the last two years, I would't mind going through ours if they ever became available but I don't have that level of interest in Brentford, except of course when we are there and the Griffin beckons.
I thought them relevant, due to their average attendance being similar to ours and them having spent most of their history occupying the bottom 2 Divisions.

Poultice

I thought them relevant, due to their average attendance being similar to ours and them having spent most of their history occupying the bottom 2 Divisions.
Relevant in what way Herr Oberst ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Relevant in what way Herr Oberst ?
In that all things being equal we should have a similar player budget. Which means the way they operate in L1 will be the same as ours.

BTW. Its Herr Inhaber der Zwischenablage to you.

Poultice

In that all things being equal we should have a similar player budget. Which means the way they operate in L1 will be the same as ours.
Well the way things are going my guess would be that they will be operating in League 1 while we battle it out with the offal in League 2, but on the issue in hand I would guess that much of this current expenditure is designed to increase their revenue streams in the interim period between now and when they move to their new ground thereby allowing them to spend a lot more on players than the likes of we.

Plenty of clubs with wealthy backers are taking steps now to achieve this, new rules, new strategies to circumvent, unfortunately we don't have management even close to sharp enough to appreciate that.

Grecian1966

BTW. Its Herr Inhaber der Zwischenablage to you.
I cannot imagine for one moment their playing budget is similar to ours - have you looked at the calibre of their squad compared to ours?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I cannot imagine for one moment their playing budget is similar to ours - have you looked at the calibre of their squad compared to ours?
I think that was the point Hants was making - the words 'should be' being the critical ones!

Last edited: