• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Finance Thread....

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
L
I’d like to add to

I’d also like to add that I see similar in the difficulties in the armed forces in recruiting people.

In addition, I reckon a lot of working class kids know they’ll never be able to save for a home they can own themselves so a few years “wasting time on pointless courses” is merely an extension to the relative carefree days of school and not succumbing to the mundanity of 50 years of work. I’m not saying it’s the right decision, I’m suggesting young folk often make poor decisions.
Learn a trade and work hard will generate more than enough to buy a house. Moreover building trade skills will open up the chance to buy up a property to renovate live in and sell on at a profit. Tax free capital gains with the right advice ;)

lamrobhero

Moreover building trade skills will open up the chance to buy up a property to renovate live in and sell on at a profit. ;)
Thats what everybody does on "Homes Under The Hammer" even if you've got Dion Dublin's "dodgy knees".

Alistair20000

Thats what everybody does on "Homes Under The Hammer" even if you've got Dion Dublin's "dodgy knees".
The “profits” declared on HUTH never truly count in all the costs.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The continual talk about affordable housing is a joke, most things the government do encourage price rises. The people cashing in are the builders and the tradesmen.

What was the reason for stamp duty being scrapped until March ?? It has simply encouraged another property bubble, why would you want that ??

Back in the 80's and 90's house prices would often drop / correct despite being pretty realistic, that was a healthier natural market in many ways.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The continual talk about affordable housing is a joke, most things the government do encourage price rises. The people cashing in are the builders and the tradesmen.

What was the reason for stamp duty being scrapped until March ?? It has simply encouraged another property bubble, why would you want that ??

Back in the 80's and 90's house prices would often drop / correct despite being pretty realistic, that was a healthier natural market in many ways.
So what's changed in terms of this market then?

I thought the 'Polish plumber' had driven down trades costs. I have no issue with tradesmen cashing in. More people should train to do it if the demand is there.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
So what's changed in terms of this market then?
The market is propped up by joke interest rates and poorly thought out legislation.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The market is propped up by joke interest rates and poorly thought out legislation.
So how do you change it. How do interest rates of 10% help the housing market?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
So how do you change it. How do interest rates of 10% help the housing market?
It's too late, that is the problem, it has been allowed to get to a situation that is very difficult to alter.

If interest rates ever returned to 3 - 4% plenty of people would be up $h1t creek, 10% would be absolute carnage.

lamrobhero

The levying of capital gains tax on principal private residences would be a good start.

Alistair20000

The levying of capital gains tax on principal private residences would be a good start.
Intellectually a sound argument. A death sentence for any government at the polls.

Just as it is folly to mess with a Frenchman’s pension rights you don’t tax an Englishman’s house sale proceeds.