• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The England Post Mortem Thread

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
In that formation I'd have Sturridge and Strling flanking Rooney with both having a free role to run around as they please. Both are more mobile than Rooney so he'd stay central. With those two supplying him, and given his record both domestically and internationally, he'd surely score bucketloads.

What I don't think helps is swapping players' positions seemingly on a match by match basis. As you said both Strling and Rooney have shifted around and didn't Gerrard have spell as a bloody full back at one point? I think if we can keep a reasonably settled nucleus of players that regularly play in their preferred positions for both club and country (how many of our squad aren't nailed on first team starters for their club sides) then surely we've got to have a bit more success in future tournaments.

Oh, and get the buggers to sing th anthem properly instead of mumbling the words head down shuffling from foot to foot.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
In that formation I'd have Sturridge and Strling flanking Rooney with both having a free role to run around as they please. Both are more mobile than Rooney so he'd stay central. With those two supplying him, and given his record both domestically and internationally, he'd surely score bucketloads.

What I don't think helps is swapping players' positions seemingly on a match by match basis. As you said both Strling and Rooney have shifted around and didn't Gerrard have spell as a bloody full back at one point? I think if we can keep a reasonably settled nucleus of players that regularly play in their preferred positions for both club and country (how many of our squad aren't nailed on first team starters for their club sides) then surely we've got to have a bit more success in future tournaments.

Oh, and get the buggers to sing th anthem properly instead of mumbling the words head down shuffling from foot to foot.
Think you may need a new E on your keyboard!

IBA

I was strangely disappointed by Barkley , By all the hype I was expecting prolonged glimpses of Gazza1990 type brilliance but didn't see that much of note....

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought Danny Baker was on the money last night when he said that in his lifetime we've gone from, can we win the world cup to can we make the final,semi final,quarter final and now can we get out of the group.The next step in our terminal decline is can we qualify for world cup finals I suppose.

IBA

Heard on sports week today David Bernstein saying that England have been underachieving for the past 60 plus years and 1966 was just a blip.?...