• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The end of the speed camera?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Oxfordshire will be removing them as a method of saving money. Plenty of counter arguments as to whether they genuinely work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10762590

I have to say I don't like the fixed ones (have never been caught speeding by one though), most people seem to know where they are, slow down for them and then speed up afterwards.

I also agree about a comment from a reader on that page, that speed bumps are a problem. I find them a pain, and there doesn't seem to be a way to protect the car from them properly. Again people seem to speed up in between the bumps.

Love them or hate them? Glad to see the back of the cameras?

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
speed bumps are a problem. I find them a pain
Not totally sure Hants, but I believe you can get ointments for that ;)

Poundstretcher

I celebrated by doing a great deal of overtaking on the A44.

There are times when 40mph is stupid, and times when 90mph is perfectly safe. Cameras can't work this out and I certainly will be pleased to see our council's budget better spent.

It is just a shame that £250,000 was spent on putting thousands of 20 signs on every road in the whole bloody city last summer...

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hmmm, speed bumps don't work...................................if anything they slow you down. ;)

Parklife

Oxfordshire will be removing them as a method of saving money.
But I thought they were a licence to print money? Shirley they pay for themselves.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
But I thought they were a licence to print money? Shirley they pay for themselves.
The money goes to the Government? Its the bit that I didn't really understand.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
The money goes to the Government? Its the bit that I didn't really understand.
Government gave the Councils a grant to install & maintain them & then they take all the proceeds from them.With Council grants been cut all across the board by the Government it's to be expected that they will say if the Governemnt wants speed cameras,they can pay for them.Disappointing thing about them is that these cameras will probably remain so that when the funding returns they will be brought back into operation.

Its a missed opportunity to remove the cameras installed around the country that are completely pointless,like the 4 cameras in one small Lancashire village I drove through last month...

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I doubt it....But the'money for old rope' sites.ie where the A303 where it briefly enters Wiltshire will be no more..

The Safety Partnerships will gone because they are labour intensive(the man in the van at the side of the road usually),but the Fixed Cameras are all digital & many are linked to a phone signal so very little money to maintain these..

Borat

More average speed cameras over a longer distance powered by satellite ;) Did a bit of research on this during my time at uni.

IBA

Speed cameras only work effectively if they are disguised otherwise ,as pointed out by previous posts, cars just slow down for the immediate vicinity of the camera and then carry on speeding for the rest of their journey. What would work is for hidden speed cameras appearing at unpredictable random locations. Secondly, the concerns about speed cameras just being revenue raisers and another tax on the poor motorists could easily be overcome by simply issuing points on the licence.