• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The EFL Trophy - Thoughts?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh... and me too!

I'm sure everyone's looking forward to a Final between Stoke U23s and West Ham U23s in front a few men and their dogs at Wembley.

Let's give this ridiculous idea the contempt it deserves. If I were the manager - assuming we even have to enter - I would play the youth team. Well, it'll 'give them experience' won't it?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
HERE you go then......
We're in 14th at the moment of signers.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Some dates for the Trophy.

Key Dates for EFL Trophy Fixtures

Group stages

w/c August 29, 2016
w/c October 3, 2016
w/c November 7, 2016

Round Two

w/c December 5, 2016

Round Three

w/c January 9, 2017

Round Four

w/c January 23, 2017

Semi-Final

w/c February 20, 2017

Final

April 2, 2017 at Wembley Stadium

Number13

Does anyone have a list of the 16 Academies? Are Bournemouth in there as I guess that'll be our "Regional" partner?

iscalad

Does anyone have a list of the 16 Academies? Are Bournemouth in there as I guess that'll be our "Regional" partner?
The BBC does.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36725310

And FYI

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-format-confirmed-for-201617-3170687.aspx

Red & White

"- Clubs will be awarded 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. In the event of a drawn game (after 90 minutes), a penalty shootout will be held with the winning team earning an additional point."

What is wrong with the group stage being played in a league format, why the bonus point for winning the penalty shoot out?

"- If scores are level after 90 minutes in Rounds 2, 3 and 4, the game will be determined by the taking of penalties. The EFL will confirm arrangements for the Semi-Finals and Final in due course following further consultation."

I like the fact they appear to be making it up as they go along!

And looking at the split of the proceeds is this going to actually cover any costs of hosting the games?

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Is there a ballpark figure of how much it costs to put on a game? Also roughly what costs are involved in going to an away game that doesn't involve an overnight hotel stay.

Would have thought that 45% of even a small crowd should cover the costs involved, and if we win any the £10k prize money should be clear profit.

Oldsmobile-88

Is there a ballpark figure of how much it costs to put on a game? Also roughly what costs are involved in going to an away game that doesn't involve an overnight hotel stay.
The travel costs(up to a ceiling figure) are deducted from.the gross gate reciepts.As happens in other cup games

I believe it's at least 3k (conservative est) to put a game on...

The prize money is decent.That was the carrot for clubs like ours... Crumbs from the rich man's table.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

Cracks appearing already. Spurs and Man Utd. have already pulled their Under 21s out of the competition and, reportedly, Liverpool and Man. City "have reservations" and are considering pulling out as well.