• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't quite get the 'appealling to the young audience' criticism either.
There's a shedload of stuff across the varous BBC TV and radio channels to appeal to older viewers and listeners.
(I am one).

DB9

I don't quite get the 'appealling to the young audience' criticism either.
There's a shedload of stuff across the varous BBC TV and radio channels to appeal to older viewers and listeners.
(I am one).
Why should though the BBC try to appeal to younger aundiences when A, They just don't watch TV/Radio as we do or use to when there were fewer channels and B, Put on programmes when really most youngster go out? The BBC have to appeal to a broadchurch of people, Not just ignore one age group for another who quite frankly see TV as old fashion.

Mr Jinx

Why should though the BBC try to appeal to younger aundiences when A, They just don't watch TV/Radio as we do or use to when there were fewer channels and B, Put on programmes when really most youngster go out? The BBC have to appeal to a broadchurch of people, Not just ignore one age group for another who quite frankly see TV as old fashion.
Indeed. TV as we used to know it is dying a slow death. Murdoch recognised this and that's why he sold off Sky TV, getting out at the top. Having already been bitten by Facebook (over Myspace) he knew only too well you can't beat the tech juggernauts.

Spoonz Red E

I'm old.
I don't feel ignored.
As I said - loads of stuff for older people- just look across the schedules.
The BBC is a national broadcaster.
Young people are part of the national audience.
I don't trust commercial channels to deliver what we'd lose if the BBC stops doing it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I think the point is more that they often seek to change stuff that works in order to attract a younger audience that just isn't there.

I accept though that there *is* stuff for fogeys of indeterminate age, but I worry about the variety on offer. For example, I have just opened up the guide on my TV to see what BBC1 and BBC2 have on offer tonight. Bearing in mind we're now in the "autumn" season of programming where usually they used to bring out the big guns. On offer tonight:

BBC1: 7pm, the execrable "One Show". 7:30, "Garden Rescue", which appears to be a by-the-numbers thing of people going in and doing up gardens. 8:00, "The Repair Shop", which appears to be a by-the-numbers thing of people doing up stuff. 9:00, "Ambulance", a by-the-numbers fly-on-the-wall programme looking at ambulance staff. All of these are arguably fit for daytime TV, not taking up the entire primetime schedule.

BBC2: 7pm, "Blitz: The Bombs That Changed Britain", a documentary about places that were bombed in WW2. Potentially decent, first aired 2017. 8:00, "Mary Berry's Simple Comforts", OK if you like watching old people cooking. 8:30, "Nadiya Bakes", OK if you like watching younger people cooking. 9:00, "Murder Case", finally a documentary that is also new.

Where is the comedy? (And by comedy, I don't just mean a panel show) Where are the dramas? Even a by-the-numbers show about a detective (brilliant but with a flaw in their personality, obvs) would add some variety.

Antony Moxey

Have a word with yourself Jase. The Repair Shop is the best thing on TV at the moment.

DB9

I'm old.
I don't feel ignored.
As I said - loads of stuff for older people- just look across the schedules.
The BBC is a national broadcaster.
Young people are part of the national audience.
I don't trust commercial channels to deliver what we'd lose if the BBC stops doing it.
The BBC do cater already for the younger audience, BBC3 online, where most youger people go nowadays and now the BBC are putting the same programmes onto BBC1/2 in the form of repeats. Also those younger people are less likely the ones to be digging into their pockets for the licence fee, It's their parents, ie, Old gits like us. Jason has put it much better than i can. I don't want the BBC to be another station that shows reality shows, fly on the wall shows, Makeover shows etc, Like Jason i want dam good dramas, dam good comedies and good, informative documentaries. I hate to say it but the C5 All Creatures Great And Small was a "BBC" programme, Good acting, Great stories and good locations, The BBC were masters of these types of programmes but they are becoming rarer. I hate to say it but ITV do much better, Grantchester, Endeavour, Magriet to name but a few, Fantastic programmes (Even with the annoying advert breaks) that the BBC use to thrive on.

The shedules on the BBC consist of an average days viewing are repeats, Or as the term nowadays "Another Chance To See" That is not acceptable. This is just the start of the BBC going for that younger audience, You may say now that there is enough variety but give it time and you'll be thinking and looking at the schedule, "There's very little on here for me"

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Have a word with yourself Jase. The Repair Shop is the best thing on TV at the moment.
I'm sure it is if you like that sort of thing.

As it is the sum total of my BBC main channels viewing this week will remain 7:30-9:00 on Monday nights on BBC2.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure it is if you like that sort of thing.
You mean you couldn't see yourself clambering into a roadside skip to root out some old sofa? If nothing else, stuffing your fingers down the sides might just reap you a monetary fortune. ;)

Spoonz Red E

The BBC do cater already for the younger audience, BBC3 online, where most youger people go nowadays and now the BBC are putting the same programmes onto BBC1/2 in the form of repeats. Also those younger people are less likely the ones to be digging into their pockets for the licence fee, It's their parents, ie, Old gits like us. Jason has put it much better than i can. I don't want the BBC to be another station that shows reality shows, fly on the wall shows, Makeover shows etc, Like Jason i want dam good dramas, dam good comedies and good, informative documentaries. I hate to say it but the C5 All Creatures Great And Small was a "BBC" programme, Good acting, Great stories and good locations, The BBC were masters of these types of programmes but they are becoming rarer. I hate to say it but ITV do much better, Grantchester, Endeavour, Magriet to name but a few, Fantastic programmes (Even with the annoying advert breaks) that the BBC use to thrive on.

The shedules on the BBC consist of an average days viewing are repeats, Or as the term nowadays "Another Chance To See" That is not acceptable. This is just the start of the BBC going for that younger audience, You may say now that there is enough variety but give it time and you'll be thinking and looking at the schedule, "There's very little on here for me"
Tastes differ.

It's interesting that the 3 ITV dramas you mention are all detective shows.
It's very rarely ITV do a 'drama' series that isn't.

All Creatures Great & Small may well be a good series on Channel 5.
It's been done before.
Very well.
90 episodes.
By the BBC.

For me, most of Channel 5's output is terrible.

I've enjoyed loads of comedy, documentaries, arts, music on the Beeb in the last few years.

Have I discovered a secret BBC that only I know about?

I just don't recognise the picture that's being painted here.