• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Away End Development

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not wishing to jump the gun or anything, but now that we have got approval for the re-development of the ground I am assuming that this also includes the upgrading of the away end (I know this sounds obvious but sillier things have happened involving our football club) as well as the Old Grandstand?

Also that the development of the away end depends on funds being available (from Yelverton Properties?) after completion of the new grandstand, so at the moment it is not certain to go ahead.

Does anyone know what the costs of developing the away end is?

As well as relying on Yelverton Properties, does anyone know whether there are any other funding options being sourced (what about crowd funding or the like?) to ensure that this goes ahead at the same time as the Grandstand. Otherwise we could miss an opportunity to do away with a huge embarrassment to the club here - (even more so than the old Grandstand). There will not be a better time to ensure that this is done than when upgrading the ground next year, and if we miss this opportunity then who knows when it will be done (planning permission only lasts a certain amount of time I believe), so I would be interested to know if there are other alternatives to having this part of the project funded outside of the proposed package.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Taggy said after the next six weeks we will know if anyone is calling for a judicial review or not and they can then sit down and work out what money is available. I would imagine for it to go ahead if there isn't enough the club would need to use some of the cup/transfer windfalls or fundraise to get it done after the stand is built.

At the open event the figure quoted by the architect was £250k approx for the away works. Really hope both goes ahead in the summer. If not a plan needs making imo to do it later but opinion seems to be split on this from other redevelopment threads.

flakey pasty

My preference would be for the best possible (and largest) replacement for the OG with the current money available, rather than this money being spent on the away end.

Saint James

Taggy said after the next six weeks we will know if anyone is calling for a judicial review or not and they can then sit down and work out what money is available. I would imagine for it to go ahead if there isn't enough the club would need to use some of the cup/transfer windfalls or fundraise to get it done after the stand is built.

At the open event the figure quoted by the architect was £250k approx for the away works. Really hope both goes ahead in the summer. If not a plan needs making imo to do it later but opinion seems to be split on this from other redevelopment threads.
Without wishing to shoot the messenger but why would the club need to wait Six weeks to know what the cost should be. That info should already be known to all involved in the project!!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it needs to go ahead and the sooner they have worked out the finance and any shortfall, the sooner they can start to look at ways of funding that shortfall.

Yes a judicial review would eat away more costs, but that can be budgeted for, and different strategies could be raised depending on different outcomes. Hopefully the club are working towards this and by playing their cards close to their chests and are looking to get the most out of YP before releasing details however it would just be nice to know that the whole ground would be completed in one go and not having this embarrassment for much longer

richard_portland

I had assumed he meant that if there is no judicial review they can then be certain they can start work, but agree they should be able to work out the money side now to be prepared. Assume it would be after the six weeks that we would find out. Read on Facebook that judicial review would be funded by an objector and taken out against the council so no cost to the club. Apparently losing side has to pay other sides costs so hopefully the cost would be prohibitive .

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I had assumed he meant that if there is no judicial review they can then be certain they can start work, but agree they should be able to work out the money side now to be prepared. Assume it would be after the six weeks that we would find out. Read on Facebook that judicial review would be funded by an objector and taken out against the council so no cost to the club. Apparently losing side has to pay other sides costs so hopefully the cost would be prohibitive .
So if it is taken out against the Council and not the club then they could be the losing side that has to bear the costs. Which in theory would mean no extra costs to the project? But in the real world is this so?

richard_portland

Yes my understanding is a review isn't an appeal as such but has to prove the planners didn't follow the proper process. No costs to the club or developer so the only thing it could mean is a delay or the decision being overturned if it was successful.

Boyo

We all know that the cost of replacing the OG will be exactly the amount Yelverton cough up as the enabling funding. There's no way the away end will be financed by Yelverton - they are afterall looking to make as much profit on the overall development as possible and looking to minimise what they spend on the football ground.

I seem to remember posting last August with some figures from a company called Stadium Solutions who produce covered standing terraces and this worked out at c£85 per person.
Includes their delivery and erection costs.
So 1000 =£85k so not sure where the other £150k comes from.
All we would have to provide would be a concrete slab on which the assembly can be fixed-it would have a sort of resale value if the club had the means to go for something more fancy.
The away end is an embarrassment-no getting away from it.