• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Auto(s) Charge

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Loving the ambition to catch FGR but I can't see that happening, we are likely to have another blip over the next 16 games it'll just be a case of how bad a blip it is I think!

One game at a time, need to beat Barrow on Saturday and go from there but as others have mentioned, this season is starting to have a really good feel to it...

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Loving the ambition to catch FGR but I can't see that happening, we are likely to have another blip over the next 16 games it'll just be a case of how bad a blip it is I think!

One game at a time, need to beat Barrow on Saturday and go from there but as others have mentioned, this season is starting to have a really good feel to it...
As you say one game at a time - and March is a tough month fixture wise with seven matches, three away Mansfield Oldham and Port Vale and four at home Swindon Salford Crawley and Stevenage - 4 sides in the top ten, Oldham battling for survival and two former members of our previous management team. But who knows what this squad can do

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
As you say one game at a time - and March is a tough month fixture wise with seven matches, three away Mansfield Oldham and Port Vale and four at home Swindon Salford Crawley and Stevenage - 4 sides in the top ten, Oldham battling for survival and two former members of our previous management team. But who knows what this squad can do
One big positive in this division is you can afford to lose a few matches and still be there or there abouts. It'll go to the wire I'm sure.

Trapdoor

LADS!
It's well and truly on now. I'm getting dangerously close to starting to believe!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
One big positive in this division is you can afford to lose a few matches and still be there or there abouts. It'll go to the wire I'm sure.
Let's see Exeweb when that happens eh! Perhaps we'll see the re-emergence of Raleigh and co.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Before our next 'six-pointer' (against Mansfield) we have five matches versus lower-ranked sides:

Orient 15th
Bradford 12th
Harrogate 11th
Barrow 19th
Bristol Rovers 13th

Anything less than 12 points here would be disappointing. If we do take 12 (or a full house) we could find ourselves in the autos.
This just shows how quickly things can change. When I wrote this we were 7th, four points behind Sutton in third. After three wins we're third, three points ahead of Sutton, who are now in 5th place.

Beating Barrow on Saturday will cement our place in the Autos. Rovers form has definitely picked up so that'll be a tough one but I still think 15 points from these 5 games is possible.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's bordering on madness frankly after putting one fingernail in the top three to be considering pulling back a gap of 13 points. Optimism is one thing..................... I would far rather have the Village beating our rivals as I dont care if we finish 2nd or 3rd as it amounts to the same thing as finishing top in reality. Around six weeks ago there were numerous posters feeling the play off's would be a great achievement and one or two (with egg on face now) questioning if Taylor should go but lets not stray onto that debate!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's bordering on madness frankly after putting one fingernail in the top three to be considering pulling back a gap of 13 points. Optimism is one thing..................... I would far rather have the Village beating our rivals as I dont care if we finish 2nd or 3rd as it amounts to the same thing as finishing top in reality. Around six weeks ago there were numerous posters feeling the play off's would be a great achievement and one or two (with egg on face now) questioning if Taylor should go but lets not stray onto that debate!
You only need to go back a week and a half. After 80 minutes of the Swindon game it felt like we were coming to the end of a second scoreless game in a row and our inability to create chances was becoming a real concern; thankfully Nombe and Brown stepped up to create a moment of magic and kick-start our season.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looking at the past two (full) seasons, 79 points was enough for an auto place, but the 2017/18 season it was 84 points. So it looks like we’ll still need 27 points, possibly as much as 30 to 32 to guarantee promotion.

We can’t afford a run of 2-3 games without a win. Hopefully we can win at least 6 of our 8 home games and then that’ll give us a great chance as our away form is also decent. But basically, take one game at a time and beat Barrow this Saturday, and then it’s onto Bristol Rovers.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
This thread started just over a month ago when we were 9th sitting on 34pts, 17pts behind the Vegans, we have now cut that back to 13 points and sit in third. Yes there are probably not enough matches to go and there is still a lot of football to be played but it is still a mathematical goal we could aim for, and at the same time consolidate our place in the top three. From what I have seen of the Vegans is that they are good and consistent and have two goal machines, but to date they haven't had a real dip in results yet which every team goes through during a season, and we haven't played to our best yet either and yet look at us.

Set yourself a goal and see what happens, it would be better entering matches hoping to catch them, than hoping to hold onto our place, as they say if you aim for the moon even if you miss you'll land among the stars.

But madness yes perhaps a little bit ;)