• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The ashes thread

The mighty Grecian

I see Monty has been picked on reputation ahead of Sidebottom

I sincerely hope England go to the match with only ONE spinner Swanny

ECFC TOM

I sincerely hope England go to the match with only ONE spinner Swanny
Me too.

As for the decision of leaving Harmison out I'm sure Hughes and Ponting will be happy at that one.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I noticed the odds on Australia are pretty good, virtually evens for the series and 8/5 for the First Test. I would have thought they are much better than us right now but maybe I'm missing something?

We will see.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think they are necessarily much better than us. If you do a head-to-head comparison of the players there really isn't that much to choose between them.

Strauss/Cook vs Hughes/Katich - virtually even, especially if we can get ahead of Hughes early on.
Bopara/KP/Colly vs Ponting/Hussey/Clarke - Australia probably edge the middle order, unless Bopara continues his recent good form.
Prior vs Haddin - very close again.
Flintoff vs North - Flintoff on top overall, but North would contribute more with the bat I'd think.
Pace attacks - Broad is good, Anderson is in top form, Onions is an unknown quantity still; Lee had a good spell but is both over-rated and still not fully fit, Johnson is a chucker but the ICC have turned a blind eye, 3rd seamer (Siddle, Hilfenhaus or Clark) very decent. Again a close call.
Spin attacks - Swann has done well, I think Monty will come good again. Hauritz ain't Warne, to put it mildly!

England will need to have significant and consistent contributions from 1-11 to win, but they *could* do this.

The mighty Grecian

I am a Prior fan but Haddin is a better wicketkeeper and a better batsman. Prior is technically perfect always gets a start but alway gets out cheaply. Haddin is capable of playing big innings

Bit harsh about Johnson nothing wrong about his bowling action and he is a decent batter too, I think they will go with Lee, Siddle and Johnson. These seamers are led by former England's bowling coach Troy Cooley who made Steve Harmison into a world class bowler hence they shouldn't be underestimated

brumgrecian

I know he's been a liability in the past with his fitness for away tours, but the more I think about it the more ridiculous it is that we haven't included Harmison.

You have to make allowances for world class players and I'd have stuck him in there for the 1st test - I'd imagine the Australian batsmen (particularly Hughes) breathed a huge sigh of relief when they saw he wasn't included

The mighty Grecian

When was the last time Harmison made a meaningful contribution to the England Cricket team???

He has been getting chance after chance and has been let the team down time and time again.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster

angelic upstart

When I think of the Ashes, two words spring to mind, the first is England the second is collapse.

Joshyd123

5-0 whitewash to the Aussies springs to my mind..