• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The 2021 ADVENT CALENDAR QUIZ

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Welcome to the 2021 Exeweb Advent Calendar Quiz

This (not in any way abnormal) year has trundled its way down the dirt track and is now knocking on the quizmater's door demanding that he get his lumber out of slumber, step into Bobby Ewing's hand-me-down shower unit and post those pesky pixels.

As before, a picture or pictures will be posted each day until the 24th December.
The answer will be something related to ECFC, Exeweb, Exeter or Devon.

I can still hear the echo of the anguished screams from yesteryear from those who had developed a complex about the complex.
I will attempt to temper my fiendishness to avoid complaints from the cleaners who have to sweep up the dandruff shed by furious headscratching.

PROCEDURE
I will aim to post the first picture clue at 8am each day.
Today is a little late due to some Derek Adams trial by ordeal last night which meant a 15 hour day for me at the Club yesterday and more wax in my eyes than my vinyl records collection this morning.

Each 'normal' matchday will offer at least a possible 3 points.
I will post either:
  • A three pointer.
  • A two pointer with an option for a further 1 pointer if the two pointer clue is solved.
  • A one pointer with options for 2 further one pointers to be released as each clue in play is solved.

Unanswered clues will go into the matrix.

Each Friday will be Fiendish Friday with one question worth a possible 4 points.
Each Monday will be Manic Monday Monster Mix with Matrix with several one pointers issued including any matrix questions.

To move the Monday mix along each picture will be labelled with one of 4 categories - ECFC, Exeweb, Devon or Exeter Placenames, Devon or Exeter Buildings or Institutions.

Due to commitments such as staring at all the wonderful produce in the Club Shop, answering the belling tone, shuffling match tickets into envelopes or pushing them across the counter I will not be constantly monitoring the answers once the initial rush of answers is dealt with. Rather I will then aim to look in on the hour every hour.

I will give clues when necessary but no clues will be given until the afternoons.

The leaderboard will be first published on Sunday and updated each day thereafter.

RULES
Google is out there and cannot be put back in the box.
Appeals are allowed but quizmater has final say.
Due to the way the Exeweb edit function works; to avoid doubt repost any edits rather than editing a post so that it stays in its right place on the timeline.
I have trust in your upstandingness (and if you don't be upstanding you're a green).

SCORING SYSTEM
All one pointers will be rewarded for the answer only.

Two pointers and above will have one of the points given for workings.
Once the correct answer is given and rewarded with points the solver will have one further hour to provide workings (if not already given).
If the workings aren't forthcoming the workings point will then be offered to anyone who can provide them.

ROYS
Roys will be awarded at the quizmaters discretion.
They will be given for answers or workings as good as or better than the quizmaters.

Roys will not be worth any points in themselves.
However, on Wednesday the 22nd of December I will open a seperate "Advent Quiz Roy of the Rovers meets the Big Bank" thread.
Only those who have a Roy or Roys will be able to trade them in for a point each by answering any of the picture clues on that thread until the quiz ends.
Any points earned will be added to the Advent Quiz total.

Best of luck, ho ho ho and there still is no sanity clause.

Spoonz Red E

Question 1 - 2 points

Alistair20000

Nigel Alfred Stanley Atangana

NASA logo

Spoonz Red E

NASA logo
Correct answer.
I'm minded to give you both points but to make absolutely sure of the workings point can you expand a little further?

Spoonz Red E

Correct answer.
I'm minded to give you both points but to make absolutely sure of the workings point can you expand a little further?
A little more mettle to the pop needed.

arthur

NASA logo
What about the British Steel overlay? Tim Steele.. Tim Dieng... this is going nowhere

Spoonz Red E

What about the British Steel overlay? Tim Steele.. Tim Dieng... this is going nowhere
Not Tim Dieng but the overlay is there for a reason.
You have an hour before I open up the workings point to all.

Spoonz Red E

Not Tim Dieng but the overlay is there for a reason.
You have an hour before I open up the workings point to all.
By 'you' I mean Alistair for the next hour - see rules.
"Once the correct answer is given and rewarded with points the solver will have one further hour to provide workings (if not already given).
If the workings aren't forthcoming the workings point will then be offered to anyone who can provide them.
Then everyone gets a go."

Alistair20000

In the unlikely event that I will win another EACQ I had already put the NASA logo and Big Nige on a list. Missed using it last year. Thought of it after the quiz ended and concluded that's a bleddy good pic to use. Bet Spoonz will paste it up in 2021 :)

Now those workings. Umm

Alistair20000

O.K.

XTC song Making Plans For Nigel includes the lyrics that Nigel has a future in British Steel