• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thank you, goodbye, good night and good luck

GrecianInWales

Hi all,

Long time since I've posted an opening thread on Exeweb (circa 2005 from what I can remember), but I just wanted to say a thank you to the forum for all the feedback for radio commentary both good and bad over the past few years.

Since moving up to London ten years ago, I've quite often been asked to undertake summarising duties for City games in and around London, so you've often had the pleasure (or otherwise) of my dulcet tones on BBC Radio Devon.

Unfortunately, the way the fixtures have fallen has meant that I couldn't travel up to Carlisle so I've now done my last commentary, which was at Luton. In June, I emigrate to Sydney to move closer to my in-laws. Not sure when or if I'll be back, so it's likely that I could have seen my last City game for several years. I'm praying we make it to Wembley, so I can go out with some special memories.

While it's not always positive, I find the comments posted about the radio commentary incredibly useful - it's hard to get immediate uncensored feedback from your audience, and has helped me hone the commentary and gives me (often brutally) honest feedback as to where I'm getting it wrong or right. While I've been doing radio on and off since 2001 (although haven't worked in audio as a day job for many years day), you're never too old to learn or take on feedback, so I just wanted to say thank you for being so honest.

I'm always aware that every time I undertake commentary duties that I'm in an incredibly privileged position and have a responsibility to those listening back at home or online to describe the game and paint a picture of what I and the travelling support can see on the pitch. I'll always make sure I spend several evenings researching the opposition and reminding myself of Grecians stats ahead of a commentary and never take it for granted. Hopefully I've painted a picture for you when I'm commentating - although sometimes it's been a struggle when both sides would be better off standing around and reading the Sunday papers for 45 minutes.

I've enjoyed every minute of it, and do act and listen to what's written on here - including one time repeatedly using a phrase PeteUSA said had wound him up during the first half (sorry Pete!).

And one other reason I'm gutted I can't make Carlisle - I've not seen a City loss in nearly 18 months. The last loss I watched or commentated on was Barnet away 2015. If our away form suddenly collapses, blame Australia.

So, next season I'll be following City from a very long way away, hopefully seeing Tis lead us to the League One playoffs (I'm an optimist, obvs).

UTC. See you all at Wembley.

We'll score again...

Gary Andrews

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
You're an all round nice fella Gary. Unfortunately through unforseen circumstances, I never got to meet you after you invited me on to the Radio Program you did back in 2006; when we were back there for our 40th Wedding Anniversary. All the best mate with this new exciting phase of life you're embarking on.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good luck Gary and thanks for all the bits you've written for the fanzine!:)

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you asked nicely I'm sure a mod would be able to change your name to GrecianInNewSouthWales. (y)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck with the move, Gary - was good to see you the other week at the Morecambe match. Only heard a couple of your commentaries (was probably at most of the matches you did) but always enjoyed them.

budegrecian

Good luck with the move. Hope we make it to Wembley & League 1 to give you a special leaving gift.