• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Notts County - 8th September 2018

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd go (assuming Forte is fit enough)

Pym

Sweeney A Martin Brown Moxey (however he needs a rocket up his backside, if he's poor tomorrow Woodman should play next week)

L Martin Taylor Tillson Law (not ideal as a wide player however he was fantastic against Carlisle playing that role)

Stockley Forte

Was a close call leaving Ogbene out as I feel we should be using him.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Forte isn't fit enough to start I'd go:

Pym

Sweeney A Martin Brown Moxey

Taylor Tillson Law (all playing as central midfielders)

L Martin and Ogbene (both playing in attacking wide roles)

Stockley

If we didn't have Forte I think this shape would suit us best given the players we have, it gives us the chance of bossing the middle of the pitch but also attacking wide players to get crosses into Stockley.

Last edited:

Corey

Would like to see us try something with a three at the back, not sure if it should be this game or not, but something like:
Pym
Sweeney Martin Brown
Tillson
Holmes Taylor Law Ogbene
Forte Stockley

Want to see Tillson without getting rid of either Law or Taylor and not isolate Stockley.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would like to see us try something with a three at the back, not sure if it should be this game or not, but something like:
Pym
Sweeney Martin Brown
Tillson
Holmes Taylor Law Ogbene
Forte Stockley
Not sure about that, we'd get rinsed out wide against a team playing 4 - 4 - 2.

3 at the back would be fine with wing backs however we don't have the players required to pull it off, i.e. the likes of Sweeney, Moxey and Woodman don't have the energy, pace and athleticism the wing back role requires.

Last edited:

Stelios

If Forte isn't fit enough to start I'd go:

Pym

Sweeney A Martin Brown Moxey

Taylor Tillson Law (all playing as central midfielders)

L Martin and Ogbene (both playing in attacking wide roles)

Stockley

If we didn't have Forte I think this shape would suit us best given the players we have, it gives us the chance of bossing the middle of the pitch but also attacking wide players to get crosses into Stockley.
I like this a lot. Must admit I'm useless at tactics/shape etc. But that side looks like it could create a lot of chances (although just 1 or 2 would be nice!)

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think we'll have a settled midfield shape until October at least, and all the midfield options are as good as each other in my eyes, none of them have impressed in recent games. I'd make the exception of Tillson, I know some people disagree with me on that, but I think he does the job he's meant to do. When he hasn't been on the pitch we haven't done very well. But I would literally be happy with any permutation of Taylor Holmes Law Boateng Martin Ogbene Tillson Collins as a starting midfield, there really isn't a clear case for any of those as definite starters yet, although Jake Taylor as captain is a given I suppose.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I concur about Tillson and think he should start. If things aren't going well we have plenty of more attack minded players who could come off the bench.

geoffwp

I'm looking forward to seeing who Taylor starts with. Is he relaxed enough and confident enough to be a 'flexible' manager willing to try things or does he feel under any pressure so making choices that seem safe ones. A lot of managers seem to feel the need to stick with senior players even if they have to shoehorn them in by playing others out of position. I'm hoping its the former. Fans want to see a victory in every game, I guess I'm no different. However if we want Matt Taylor to find the best mix to get the wins we want to watch, we have got to give him the licence to try things knowing they may not work. I hope he is confident enough to do just that.

rifraf

I wonder how far away we are from Collins making the midfield scene?

STURTZ

I concur about Tillson and think he should start. If things aren't going well we have plenty of more attack minded players who could come off the bench.
You are Paul Tisdale and I claim my silk cravat.

Get Collins in the team, shake the others up a bit. Oh and give Oates a start.