• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Cambridge United away - Tuesday 21st August 2018

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think I'm right to think we should try it away from home, but it's just an idea. I see our football experts disagree, which they have every right to do. I'm sure many also disagreed when Tis moved Stacey to right back....:D
To be fair Mike I can see your logic to a certain extent, clearly Stockley lacks pace and quick counter attacks are not where his strength lies however he is such a threat when the ball is in the box, also defensively he offers a lot when we are defending set pieces.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be fair Mike I can see your logic to a certain extent, clearly Stockley lacks pace and quick counter attacks are not where his strength lies however he is such a threat when the ball is in the box, also defensively he offers a lot when we are defending set pieces.
I luuuurv Stockers and would be really disappointed if he left. I'm just making the point that in games where we'd likely be under some pressure and don't have much possession then we don't have time or space to build up play and swing across a nice cross for him. i also agree that he isn't slow. But in such games when we get hold of the ball a swift counter-attack longish through ball for Abrahams (or Forte) to run onto might be an answer. Going off tangent a bit, for example, the last people we needed in the infamous Liverpool away match were Morrison and Hoskins (in attack). Just my opinion, which I can't prove is right but nobody can prove is wrong, unless Guardiola says I am.:)

Exehausted

Talk about leaving Stockley out is absolute bullpoopoo. He is a vital member of the team and as has been mentioned by TPC above last year without him we would have been nowhere. Look at Saturday - he ties up at least two of the the opposition when they try to mark him at set pieces and he still scores.

My concern for tomorrow is how the midfield sets up. as we are away I would start with Pym, Sweeney, A Martin, Brown, Woodman, Tilson, Holmes, Law, Taylor Forte and Stockley. On the bench Hamon, Oates, Boateng L.Martin, Jay, and Abrahams

I would also start thinking do I need to make a substitution because 60 minutes have passed or can the team continue to challenge for the full ninety unchanged. I think on saturday when we took off Forte he still seemed to have a lot of running in him and was proving quite a problem for their defence. Abrahams was nowhere near when he came on and the momentum was lost.
The only change that I would make to your line up is L. Martin in for Tillson. As I said before, a bit harsh in Tills but Lee is better and calmer on the ball. He has great vision, particularly from the middle of the pitch. He was outstanding there last Tuesday in the second half. I assume only naming 6 subs was an oversight. I would fill that space with Moxey. He provides good cover at left back and cover the left in the centre of defence.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Martin for Holmes and Boateng for Tillson.
If Taylor let me in on his injury problems I'd be an able deputy.