• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swindon Town v Exeter City EFL Trophy. Match Day Thread

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if those criticising Maxted remember the two fantastic saves he made in fairly quick succession late in the first half. Although overall Ward does seem to be in the ascendancy right now, and Maxted should have done better with the one he palmed out to their striker.

Anyway, I endured the frustration of the stream not loading properly until after I'd restarted my piece of (expletive) computer, so I rewound back to our goals then skipped through to the live action on around 25 minutes. I thought we looked excellent for the most part and the players on show did their cause no harm whatsoever in keeping the pressure up on our current first choice XI to maintain their recent performance levels. Nicky Ajose in particular revelled in a roaming role, while Jack Sparkes also served notice that he seems to be back to his best after his injury. Jake Caprice was impressive too.

Oh, and a word for the Swindon commentary team, who were excellent throughout and provided a superbly balanced viewpoint. EDIT: Which, looking back a few pages, has already been commented on by others.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt Taylor interview

Matt very happy with the way the night went ...there’s certainly no doubting the value of this competition for players young and old. Has the 10k match winning prize been confirmed anywhere this season?

JCWhoosh

What I've noticed is the threat we are posing from set pieces (corners in particular). MT highlighted the need to score these sorts of scrappy goals. 4 goals from our 'B' team last night is promising against a decent league 1 team. That will put pressure on the 1st team which is great. Would like to see more goals from open play but things are looking brighter.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very pleased to see he gave Ajose a run out. I could be completely off the mark, but I think it may be purely a personality thing, or lack of respect etc. I would love to see them patch it up if that is the case. If it's purely because he's ***** on the training ground, then no worries

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
These young lads just can't stop scoring!

tonykellowfan

I think Ajose plays better with the younger more mobile players, I don't think when he was playing with Bowman Law and Martin it really suited him.

For example it might be worth trying Ajose and Seymour up front in the league at some point.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
AdverSport: "A Defensive Mess." Coach Wright labels Swindon 'a shambles' defensively.

Town coach was full of praise for his forward players though less than impressed with what the Robins showed at the back having conceded four for the the first time this season. Wright suggested training will heavily feature defensive work prior to the weekend's home fixture against Wimbledon.

Grecianpasty

A STFC friend of mine said the we beat a team with 9 changes from their first team and fringe players, nothing to be proud of. I reminded him that we made 11 changes, play a league lower and played predominantly with youngsters. Something I'm very proud of.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
A STFC friend of mine said the we beat a team with 9 changes from their first team and fringe players, nothing to be proud of. I reminded him that we made 11 changes, play a league lower and played predominantly with youngsters. Something I'm very proud of.
Indeed, the commentators last night were saying the same, that while Swindon could argue their line-up was much changed, ours was even more so.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What I've noticed is the threat we are posing from set pieces (corners in particular). MT highlighted the need to score these sorts of scrappy goals. 4 goals from our 'B' team last night is promising against a decent league 1 team. That will put pressure on the 1st team which is great. Would like to see more goals from open play but things are looking brighter.
Yes, one thing I've been critical of under Taylor is that at corners in particular we seemed to pose no threat before this season - it got to the stage where we'd win a corner and I wouldn't even get excited. This season (so far) we're a lot more threatening, despite still not being a particularly tall side.