• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sunderland - Exeter: Mackems v. Grecians marchday Thread

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
George Caulkin of The Times has just tweeted this

Good stuff, makes you proud.

No complaints here about the result, we were always going to run out of steam when it's 3-3 at half time. Hope all those who travelled had an amazing night, I can't even comprehend what it felt like going two down, bringing it back to 2-2 and then 3-3.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I disagree. Sunderland are better than Exeter to the same degree that Exeter are better than Warrington or Curzon Ashton. Sunderland beat us comfortably in a way that we were unable to achieve when faced with similar circumstances. Ergo, they almost by definition showed us how a better team should perform against lower league oppostion.
Agreed. Put that Warrington squad in League 2 for a season and they would be very seriously found out. For a City side that had for the best part of three seasons been more successful away from home it was a poor, poor result.

eurogrecian

Perhaps that was what Tis was doing at the end of the game and couldn't be bothered to come over and thank the away supporters? and people wonder why he's not liked(facepalm)
Maybe somebody should start a petition about it?

Anyway, back to reality.
Sounds like a great effort by the players especially to come back from two down (and one down). Scoring three goals from open play away at a Premier League club is a real achievement. Their defence might have been criticized, but any one of them cost more than the whole of our squad put together.
Excellent City turnout up there for a Tuesday night as well, only sad I wasn't one of them as it sounds like another great evening to have been a Grecian.

I will be at Wimbledon, hope the lads haven't taken too much out of themselves with the effort yesterday!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Surreal. Utterly surreal. Amazing. Brilliant.Have to agree with the comments of all the others that went.

I'm delighted and proud to have seen my team again score 3 goals away at top flight opposition. Worth the wait (47 years).

Of course this game had echoes of Spurs 6 City 3 and of Sunderland 5 City 2. But the game it reminded me most of was SheffieldUnited 4 City 4 principally because of the strikerless formation. This was a flat back four, a midfield diamond with Butterfield at the base and Noble at the tip, with Holmes and Wheeler wide. This was a masterstroke and we played some really good passing football .When seeing the goals Holmes is often in space and that's because we've moved the ball and the defence around prior to finding him.

Butterfield , Noble, Wheeler and Holmes were all superb. I hope the highlights on GP in due course can be one of those lengthy 10 minute versions, which show the whole passing movements leading up to each goal.

Tis irritates me at times, but I do have the sense
Agreed. Put that Warrington squad in League 2 for a season and they would be very seriously found out. For a City side that had for the best part of three seasons been more successful away from home it was a poor, poor result.
Keep trying................... This may help:-

Oh dear! I can not believe the logic amongst some of you. We had internationals playing for us did we? We were at home, on a huge, wide pitch were we? Our players train in state of the art facilities, day in, day out, do they? Our players get fed the finest foods at the Cat & Fiddle, do they? We paid millions for our squad did we? What's wrong with some of you?

Last edited:

abertom

Part time teams especially semi pro ones are a bit misleading I think in terms of quality. Many players at that level are often league standard quality but either for personal or career reasons don't wish to be full time. Obviously the full time team should be fitter however

Well-known Exeweb poster

Ashford Grecian

Where was the A1 closed I travelled all the way back to the M25?

Shocking defending cost us, they were there for the taking... and the away crowd 495 it seemed around double that to me:S

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Disagree. Home advantage is huge, especially given the state of Warrington's pitch. When was the last time we lost at home to a team 3 levels lower than us?
Don't think we have played someone three levels below at home for quite some time. I wondered when the Warrington pitch excuse would be played. Tisdale has had three similar away fa cup matches. Nuneaton who were closer to us than the other two were despatched correctly and professionally so well done for that. Curzon Ashton and Warrington we didn't do the job and while upsets happen it was a big failure to fail to at least earn a replay. It's not being anti Tisdale to say they were bad losses.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
If you had to sum up Exeweb, this is it :). I don't get it really.
It doesn't really sum it up as it was just the posters opinion. I don't view it negatively. I was disappointed we went behind early on and feared a mauling but clearly the first half comebacks were excellent and gave us real hope of an upset. In the end their better fitness and quality appeared to make the difference and I agree with the manager that we let in some soft goals but we don't need to be too down about it.

Let's see how we play in the next few games, and am looking forwards to more cup wins later in the season. If we could get to third round of fa cup that would be a positive season in the cups, especially if we ended up going out to another big side.